another goofy idea from me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another goofy idea from me.

Well. Ive made up my mind to drive to Alaska.
    I was going to do it in my b150 van. The thought crossed my mind to do a sportsmobile conversion minus some of the top end tricked out enterior stuff.
    then i got to thinking:
    What about a lifted festiva? B3 small turbo for climbing torque or b8 turbo.
    i could put on an offroad trailer with a rooftop tent and have plenty of supplies.
    gas mileage would be great for the trip
    its almost win/win. I could reinsulate the festiva for the weather.

Im curious as to what you guys think the best trans would be for an offroad/overland festiva?
    Oh, i was also thinking about running atv tires. They come in stock festi size are rugged and cheap.
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
    1. What about a lifted festiva?
    2. B3 small turbo for climbing torque or b8 turbo.
    3. i could put on an offroad trailer with a rooftop tent and have plenty of supplies.
    4. Im curious as to what you guys think the best trans would be for an offroad/overland festiva?
    5. Oh, i was also thinking about running atv tires. They come in stock festi size are rugged and cheap.
    1. Lift on the rear would be easy with longer springs (Aspire, or custom coilover) and taller tires. On the front, the experts will chime in.
    2. B3 for better mileage when not in boost. Or an un-boosted B6 would be sufficient too, and simpler. MPG for a B6 at 60 mph is 42 in my experience. You could get deep into the 40s at 50-55 mph. If you stick with a stock B3, you could even get 62 mpg, as I have at 45 mph. For one person and his stuff, stock should do fine.
    3. Make a custom trailer yourself, starting with a utility trailer of appropriate size and 12" tires.
    4. F trans is more robust than the E, but you lose higher gearing/gas mileage. Bring at least a full 2-gallon gas can too; two of them would be better. They can go in your trailer. But you could probably get away without a trailer at all if you are going alone and pull out the rear seat. Maybe some sort of roof storage option too. Maybe build some shelving in the car for more efficient storage/access to stuff. Like festyxfi said, it's a steel tent! :-) If you know you will be driving alone, you could even pull the passenger seat and really give you more storage/sleeping options. Festys can be very comfortable to sleep in.
    5. ATV tires will wear out quickly on the hwy, on a road trip. They are not designed for that. I'd stick with good all-seasons, like the General Altimax RT43. Remember this is not an off-road vehicle, no 4WD; just use it for asphalt and dirt roads. You don't want to get stuck in some remote location.

Most important point for a long road trip: pre-trip maintenance! Especially if going someplace where parts are hard to find. PM AlaskaFestivaGuy for more specific AK advice, or maybe he'll chime in here.

For my money, a stock EFI 5-speed Festy would do the job. Just get good tires and do any needed maintenance, maybe bring some spares; but you shouldn't need to if you fix everything beforehand. Still need a good assortment of hand tools to ensure nothing goes wrong (it will, if you don't bring tools--punishment). One guy--don't see a need for a trailer with efficient packing/shelving/roof storage. Maybe have the windows tinted for privacy while sleeping/changing clothes.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-09-2015, 10:31 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Trying to find people to come along. But wouldnt you know people come up with every excuse in the book not to leave their comfort zones.

Trailer is a must. ill be up there for at least 3 weeks.
      i dont want to chance much of anything. But ill have a friend that is willing to fly his plane up for rescue if need be.

I could do the rooftop to house a set of tires for offroad. Allseasons wont cut it in muddy terrain or alaskan snow (forgot to mention i want to go to the Arctic circle )

Gas cans i have 2, 10gal cans to go on the trailer.
      propane rv fridge, or put solar panels on the trailer and be good with a small electric.
      i am batting the idea of puting a small windmill on the front of the van and have it provide some wind energy for the batteries. I wonder what that would be like on the festiva...

Can you tamper with the trans gearing like the offroad truck guys do?
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Good info btw. Thankyou!!
        Fast....Women are fast
        Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Lay in a spare windshield or two and an extra rad. I lived at the foot of this 1 inch minus graveled highway at one time. Lots of stones get thrown around by passing and oncoming vehicles!

Comment

A driving trip with my Eagle to Alaska is on my to do list. I wanted to do it this year, but I don't see that happening.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
            1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Lay in a spare windshield or two and an extra rad. I lived at the foot of this 1 inch minus graveled highway at one time. Lots of stones get thrown around by passing and oncoming vehicles!
              To protect the rad, I cover the driver-side holes in the grill and bumper with metal mesh gutter guard. I winter, to keep air out I just put some duct tape on the gutter guard, then pull it off in the spring.

The passenger-side holes I cover completely all year round, so the motor will stay warmer. Helps with engine-bay noise too.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You are going to have to lift to give the ATV tires room to work when you need them. They will smooth the ride unbelievably on gravel roads or dirt - snow.
                Lift the back a little more than the front for several reasons, it is better. Don't use monroe rear struts, Any other rear you can cut and extend the lower stem. Use 14" springs 2 1/2 diameter and cut the spring seats to give the tires room.
                As far as springs I completely go against the grain on the advise given for lifting on here. You may have heard of long travel dune buggies? They float so nice!! Makes 4x4 's look like Fred Flintstone. My wife likes the lifted car way better than either of the stock ones . Why? She hurts and the ride is so nice and the height is perfect for easy entry - egress. I use the longer 14" spring and knock about 25 LBs off the spring rate. Then use adjusters. The result is instead of 1" jounce on a bump I get maybe three inches. Even jumping it does not bottom because of all the travel..( long travel suspension )

I would weld a plate on the crossmember to guard the trans and oil pan from ice chunks or rocks. The rear is lifted higher you will not want to add weight to guard anything back there. Your hitch will catch on anything backing up.

The things I use most while out in the desert or forest? A 24" chainsaw, spare chains, an air pump, axe, cheap candles, chain, bungees, tow strap, come - along, jump start - cell charger kit and two tool bags outfitted for what I am taking. I use repair shop LED lighting.

There is a book of details this is just food for thought and my preferences; have fun getting ready, planning makes perfect!!

Edit: Weight..set up the trailer to float with wider tires that can be aired down or have a set of ATV for it too. If you can't keep the trailer on top of packed snow you are done!! I use about 25 LBS tongue weight. In the car keep the heaviest weight on the front suspension and clothing - bedding in back. The front tires need the weight for traction. Weight in the rear will stop you quick once you leave pavement.
                Last edited by Movin; 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Movin: you the man!!
                  Fast....Women are fast
                  Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Lol I didn't feel that way learning some of this the hard way !

Comment

I think I need to chime in here…

You sound about as crazy as I am (for this kind of stuff anyway) I've defiantly kicked around the idea of driving a Festiva in that direction. If you go in the summer (June-Sept.) most of the places you're talking about won't have snow. The last time I heard, the road up to the Arctic ocean is still gravel (up to Barrows?) and people have done it on bicycles, motorcycles, even mopeds, so yeah…a festiva can do it.

I'm half-heartedly planning a trip back to Newfoundland right now, not quite a rough as an Alaskan trek, but similar. I plan on insulating my travel festy somewhat, fully gutting the rear (with a platform that folds forward toward the front seats pushed all the away forward). I'm 5'10 and if sleeping diagonal, I can stretch out and be very comfortable) I'm also making storage space between the body panels and inside panels. Jack, tools, extra timing belt, and an extra distributor (important) The only two times I've been stranded out on the road in a festiva has been the disty going bad. I would skip the ATV tires and just run meaty 13's or even meaty euro-winter 12's (you can even get them with studs) if you pick your path, a festy can get up and over and through a lot of nasty roads from my experience. I've also thought about making a cool, light-weight roof top tent (like the African expo guys) all it would take is a flat roof platform well fastened to the roof (that can handle it and your weight) then look up home made ice shanties (they make them here in Mn. all the time, even out of pallets) with plywood ends and canvas roof and round, which folds in on itself like a suitcase. Use poles in the inside to keep the walls apart when in the up position. maybe even incorporate a ladder to get up into it I would also carry TWO spare rims and tires. Maybe mount one on the hood Range rover style. A UN grade jerry can with a good sealing cap could be mounted to the gate (check cheapasdirt.com) I've found that the rear end of a festy starts to sag pretty quick when loaded for travel. Maybe stiffen it up a little? I plan to leave the passenger seat in so I can pick up hitchhikers or give people rides that you'll inevitably meet along the way. There is a way to make a screen that partially covers the windshield (I've seen it in Australia) I've heard it would take a miracle to have an enact windshield by the time you got up there via the Al-Can. I'll keep thinking here. Shoot, swing through Mn and pick me up! I'll be your huckleberry
                      Because....45 MPG.

Comment

What time of year are you planning to make this trip? If it's in July then plan to come through Calgary area around the 11th and stop in at Westiva!!!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
                          I think I need to chime in here…

You sound about as crazy as I am (for this kind of stuff anyway) I've defiantly kicked around the idea of driving a Festiva in that direction. If you go in the summer (June-Sept.) most of the places you're talking about won't have snow. The last time I heard, the road up to the Arctic ocean is still gravel (up to Barrows?) and people have done it on bicycles, motorcycles, even mopeds, so yeah…a festiva can do it.

I'm half-heartedly planning a trip back to Newfoundland right now, not quite a rough as an Alaskan trek, but similar. I plan on insulating my travel festy somewhat, fully gutting the rear (with a platform that folds forward toward the front seats pushed all the away forward). I'm 5'10 and if sleeping diagonal, I can stretch out and be very comfortable) I'm also making storage space between the body panels and inside panels. Jack, tools, extra timing belt, and an extra distributor (important) The only two times I've been stranded out on the road in a festiva has been the disty going bad. I would skip the ATV tires and just run meaty 13's or even meaty euro-winter 12's (you can even get them with studs) if you pick your path, a festy can get up and over and through a lot of nasty roads from my experience. I've also thought about making a cool, light-weight roof top tent (like the African expo guys) all it would take is a flat roof platform well fastened to the roof (that can handle it and your weight) then look up home made ice shanties (they make them here in Mn. all the time, even out of pallets) with plywood ends and canvas roof and round, which folds in on itself like a suitcase. Use poles in the inside to keep the walls apart when in the up position. maybe even incorporate a ladder to get up into it I would also carry TWO spare rims and tires. Maybe mount one on the hood Range rover style. A UN grade jerry can with a good sealing cap could be mounted to the gate (check cheapasdirt.com) I've found that the rear end of a festy starts to sag pretty quick when loaded for travel. Maybe stiffen it up a little? I plan to leave the passenger seat in so I can pick up hitchhikers or give people rides that you'll inevitably meet along the way. There is a way to make a screen that partially covers the windshield (I've seen it in Australia) I've heard it would take a miracle to have an enact windshield by the time you got up there via the Al-Can. I'll keep thinking here. Shoot, swing through Mn and pick me up! I'll be your huckleberry
                          Now were talking! All a little different will be better overall. So....when ??

Comment

Working...
                          X