Elio dissed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elio dissed...

This piece of writing looked interesting, for an aura of reasonable cynicism combined with intelligence; after I'd wondered a little at another thread here, about the Elio: [http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-be-in-trouble

"Yup, if you pay the engineering company enough money, they will produce a working engine for you. Congrats on that at least.

The actual breathless announcement last week from Elio claimed that the engine is the first car engine produced by a startup in 60 years – that’s since 1955.

Uh, Honda? Hyundai, Lotus 4 and V8, 3 dozen Chinese startups would beg to differ. I’m sure there are others.

Proclamations like this just cement my disdain for Elio. Who in their right mind would design a 2 valve-head engine as a feature for fuel economy in this day and age? Boggles my mind how insular this company is, so intent on navel-gazing.

It’s a vehicle for conspiracy theorists who figure the big bad world is out to get ‘em if you go regular commercial. I’m surprised Elio hasn’t invented a new religion to go along with the schmaltz, appeals to patriotism, fake enviro-quackery and unctuous tone. Help us by donating to get your name on the list – isn’t that the usual way these strange people appeal to the huddled masses? Minus the free tracts mailed straight to your home – now you get your name on a ephemeral production list instead.

The mind reels. At $6800 a pop, they won’t even cover their fixed overheads is my guess. But did anyone with a cult vision and adoring believers ever let reality intrude on their dreams? When the end comes, passing out suspicious Kool-Aid eliminates all problems, along with blaming all external forces for ruining the vision and scuppering the exalted plans. It’s all happened before with depressing frequency, but a sucker is born every minute eager to believe.

Ah, dear oh dear."

From this website.[http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ine-prototype/
    Last edited by bobstad; 03-10-2015, 05:21 AM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...
Working...
X