Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replaced a stock fan with another kind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone replaced a stock fan with another kind?

Like this:

I'm replacing the fan motor with another matching part but sorta wish I'd ordered this for more air flow in hot Florida and lighter weight. Plus its a couple of inches thinner than the stock fan and shroud.

The bolts for our shrouds are about 18 inches, and I didn't realize that with the longer tabs, this might fit- They have no 18 fans otherwise.

That can be set up as a pusher as well. Mounted in front it would make the AC even better. More room in the engine area. Nice!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Mount an auto condenser fan on the front, install a diverter valve in the heater core line and switch to R-12 refrigerant. I bypassed my heater core completely. If I lived in Florida, I would just remove it entirely. The last thing you need is hot coolant flowing through the same blower housing that the A/C is going through.

Comment

It gets cold here. I ran a skin fan 14 inch for a long time. Now I use a cut down.capri fan
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Dude thinks it gets cold there...
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
            It gets cold here...
            Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            Dude thinks it gets cold there...
            ROFL. We had a heat wave today. People running around in shorts and t-shirts. It got to 45F.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Yup been up into the 40's here. I've heard a lot of bikes out there.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

You guys...it gets into the 30s and 40s here. And with the ocean breeze it's cold.
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Tweak has a 14" slim fan, but I don't think it's as effective as the stuck fan and shroud. I had to run the slim fan because of space.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Same here, don't remember the size, but I ditched the stocker, helps open up the bay. Not that these cars get particularly hot.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

I think it was 85 here today,

the downside is it's full of SEC people

and they hope to make everyone homeless- your area might be different!

so "COME ON DOWN!"

Comment

Got the stock replacement fan today- hope I can get it back in eventually- it's a tight squeeze- I painted the shroud- guess what?- chrome silver- it bounces the light around under the hood, so doing all I can.
                        may try to replace the thermostat before I do-might be stuck shut-
                        they didn't send any new of the 3 machine screws which mount it to the shroud- one of the heads is messed up from loosening it off- bummer.
                        about time to move it back outside-
                        the shed is miniscule and dark and a large snake was in it last year.

I'm also drilling some holes around the edges of the heavy stock shroud- which is obsessive and stupid, even especially when I realize it is- but I may have another square inch or two of airflow when I'm done- the steel shroud drills easily
                        Last edited by harpon; 03-19-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

You may not want to drill the shroud. It is designed to promote a low pressure area behind the radiator when the fan is on, if you drill holes in it then you'll reduce it's efficiency quite drastically.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'm not really worried about that- I wish I'd gotten the other kind of fan now, which would have a bigger diameter blade, allow more constant air flow, and weigh less than the shroud and eliminate the shroud completely,
                            That was sort of the purpose of the thread to see if anyone else had replaced the fan and eliminated the shroud.
                            I'd never do it up north, where at times I covered part of the radiator with cardboard,
                            but I don't think the shroud really fits that tight against the radiator already to create a real vacuum.

I think more air moving through the radiator before the fan relay comes on might then cause it to come on less- It usually comes on in slow moving or idling situations.
                            The relay on my old 88 quit working and I wired an inline fuse line and a toggle switch to turn it off and on manually, which worked well.
                            Last edited by harpon; 03-19-2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The stock fan and shroud are more efficient than the bigger slim fans. The shape of the fan shroud and the style of fan blade are superior to the blades being right up against the core. The space between the shroud and radiator have been calculated in this. Do whatever you want, but I'd place my bet on it working worse. Most of us wouldn't run the slim fans if we had room to keep the factory style. I used a civic radiator and moved it 2" further forward than stock and still only had room for a slim fan. It doesn't move as much air as the factory one, but I had no choice. Greg was able to use the Capri fan because he has more room up front without having a turbo up there.
                              If you do cut the holes in it, and it doesn't work, you can always use aluminum ducting tape to seal it back up. If you get the good stuff it will withstand a lot more heat than your radiator is putting out.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X