auction option in the FS forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auction option in the FS forum?

OK i read the rules regarding posting FS/WTB items in that forum. nothing specifically addresses the posting of an item for sale with a minimum starting price and allowing 1 or 2 days for an interested buyer to offer a higher price and another buyer to outbid him etc until the auction ends exactly 1 or 2 days from the time of the post. Ya, just like eBay except a shorter time span and no buy-it-now default. festEbay!

reason? a more level playing field. every once in awhile an item is put up for sale that is highly desirable, rare, hot, whatever. more than a few people would snap it up as soon as they saw the post. but one lucky stiff just happens to log on a minute after the item is posted FS. he sees the item first, knows a good score, pms the seller and Bam! SOLD! good for him. others potential buyers see the post hours or a day later and are bummed they missed it. really wanted it. would even be willing to pay more than the seller was asking. woulda been good for the seller.

i don't think this option would be abused. most of the stuff put up FS won't start a bidding war and most sellers would probably just list their stuff as usual. there shouldn't be any restrictions against a seller choosing to list their item as an auction but to discourage frivolity maybe make it a stipulation that using the auction option will require the seller forward 5% of the selling price, if it sells, to the site. and to keep it a little simple and open, pm's don't count. no secret maximum bid stuff. just all increasing bids placed posted in plain site on the thread. and maybe some mathematical rule should be considered so the next higher bid isn't like a penny or 10 cents. otherwise a really hot item could result in 20+ pages of bids.

input? jeers? cheers? [FS][AUX]?

Are you opening the vault? I think it's a great idea however to many issues like what if bidder doesn't pay? How long is payment terms? What areas open for shipping item?

Comment

that's easy at the end of the auction when the payment is processed if it doesn't go through the next highest wins it

Comment

poor sap should of had the dough, his loss

Comment

I happen to like the idea. Im sure we could come up with some rules that would keep it very fair. I been in this situation before where I saw something a day late and I would been willing to pay a little more for it. Its not I didn't have the money just cant stay online all day lol. Great idea.
          1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
          1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
          2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
          2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
          2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
          1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

Great idea, even if it can't be added as a forum feature it would be nice to have a set of rules and base the end of the auction off the forum time, regardless of the actual time on your home computer. Being a small community we could probably get away with an honor system being that if the buyer doesn't pay within 24 hours the next bidder has option to buy at his last offer or have the item relisted, because if the highest bidder raised the price the second bidder could possibly save a lot of money that he had bid against the 1st bidder in previous bids. I can already see many instances of 2 people going head to head spending stupid money on items such as bpt intakes and dash clocks with bezels...... And I may or may not be one of those two lol
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Great idea. Use the honor system.
              -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
                Great idea. Use the honor system.
                With one rule: people who have the winning bid but do not pay up should not be allowed to bid in the future. They might just be trying to run the price up for fun, or hoping to scrape together the money but failing. I would expect this to be a small (and hopefully non-existent) problem, but I think it's good to get it out there at the beginning. To state the obvious, the honor system depends on people actually having honor.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm thinking transparency would be key for this idea to work, we all know that people run up the bids on e-bay and that's not something that we need, so my thought is to have the persons bid amount and site name on every bid. just my .02 what do you think.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Personally, I think it might be a disaster. There are peeps on here that are less than honest. Reference TominMO's threads about a few transactions that went south.

This is mostly a small tight nit group, a great bunch of folks, but there is always someone who wants to muck it up. Transparency, like Karl has suggested could work, but who is going to monitor all this?
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

im in favor of it

Comment

thanks for feedback. admittedly some kinks would have to be worked out. yes a few bad actors could sour future sellers but hopefully using you're existing username with the bid would encourage honesty. or shame if you're not. i wonder if this has been done on other car enthusiast sites.

Comment

Limit who can sell by auction. Would have to be preapproved by a moderator, and the seller would be required to be an respected member of the group. That should help us on the seller end. It easy to deal with buyers who don't pay.
                          The Festiva Store
                          Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Ill pay 2 cents for that
                            N3WBI3

Comment

Originally posted by jayber View Post
                              Ill pay 2 cents for that
                              lol
                              The Festiva Store
                              Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X