Two Festiva Questions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Festiva Questions:

1) Both the festiva I passed on to a buddy, and my latest daily driver, has the check engine light come on, but not right away, and only when cruising long distances. It turns off by itself (like cold starting the next day) Does anyone know why?

2) What's the best way to remove a Festiva windshield? I'm about to do a DIY swap out and wondering if anyone has a better way than piano wire around the edges.

Thanks
    FX
    Because....45 MPG.

Could be any number of things really. Impossible to tell without pulling the code

#2 I think this, and tires are best left to professionals, since they actually have the proper tools to do it.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

There is a tool made for removing windshields, that the windshield installers use. Looked fairly easy to use. It had a special blade and a small cable with a T-handle to pull on.
      I don't know what it is called. Maybe a windshield removal tool? Try to google it.

Whadya know! That's what its called.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

Harbor Freight has one too. A lot cheaper

http://www.harborfreight.com/windshi...ool-99892.html
      Last edited by drddan; 03-18-2015, 01:46 AM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Harbor freight one sucks
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Harbor freight one sucks
          Well, ya get what ya pay for! Don't pay much, don't expect much
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by festyxfi View Post
            1) Both the festiva I passed on to a buddy, and my latest daily driver, has the check engine light come on, but not right away, and only when cruising long distances. It turns off by itself (like cold starting the next day) Does anyone know why?

2) What's the best way to remove a Festiva windshield? I'm about to do a DIY swap out and wondering if anyone has a better way than piano wire around the edges.

Thanks
            FX

The check engine light could be a lot of things. Most often it is something to do with exhaust...catalytic converter comes to mind. But like Torque said..pulling codes is the best way to find out.
            As for the windshield...your best tool. no matter what you buy is PATIENCE. If you choose to do it yourself, get that cable as slippery wet as possible with some sort of lubricant...heavily soapy water or maybe some goop hand cleaner. Get another very patient guy to help. figure it is going to take you a lot longer than a glass guy will take.
            Or...break down and pay the glass guy the $75 or so to swap it out. I an swapping one out of the Festy my son totaled into the one he bought for me to replace it. Less aggravation and if it gets broken..then the glass guy is out the money...not me!

Comment

glass guy will not take responsibllity for removing a used windsheild from a car if it brakes or cracks and if they say they will get it in writting

Comment

Signed and dated per Roman law. No verbal.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 03-18-2015, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by legend123 View Post
                  glass guy will not take responsibllity for removing a used windsheild from a car if it brakes or cracks and if they say they will get it in writting
                  Depends on the glass guy I suppose. Any time I have used one for that...they have agreed to it. No other reason to use one.

Comment

How do festivas respond to cat. removal/hollow outs? I have a buddy who drives metros and says the smaller motors don't likey much and it hurts MPGs
                    Because....45 MPG.

Comment

It's probably like anything else. Make it flow easier, and it hurts the low end, that's just how it works

Comment

There are no back pressure transducers on Festivas. It's the computer that expects backpressure for the O2 parameter.

You also need EGR. The computer expects to see it and will lean out the mixture dangerously at part throttle without it. If you opt for convenience or looks, you will regret not having the EGR functional. If it isn't hooked up and functioning properly, the car will run poorly, you'll have bad MPGs and you won't be happy with the throttle response at all.
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-21-2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

If the O2 sensor (mounted on the exhaust manifold) is defective or 'cooked' the CEL can (and will) come on after the engine warms up. Apparently during the initial warm up cycle the ECU does not respond to signals from this unit but when the engine is warm it does. Is used to optimize fuel mixture and a cold engine temporarily requires a richer mixture. Check the connections and maybe even try swapping in another one. A few years ago there were experts on here that insisted on certain brands being better than others.
                          Good luck!

Comment

Very helpful. I'm on it and will report back. Thanks!
                            Because....45 MPG.

Comment

Working...
                            X