What is "tuning"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "tuning"?

What exactly is "tuning" and how do you even do it? Do you really need to tune a stock turbo engine swap? i.e. B6t festiva. I was reading something on reddit and people were acting like you shouldnt even drive a swap until its been professionally tuned, seemed like way over kill. I mean I pretty much did my swap, set the timing, turned the boost to max, and floored it out of my driveway and the car seems to run fine.
    Last edited by vanhick; 04-06-2015, 06:27 PM.

You tuned it yourself.
    It's hard to mess up with a b6t unless you've messed up on the wiring or plumbing.

With a stock engine swap ( any cars stock engine into another car with the donor cars engine management system in it's entirety) you don't really need to get anything tuned. It sounds like you've been getting advice from people who are swapping engines into cars and using the swapped cars original engine management. This is common with Honda swaps. In that case, yes a tune is necessary for the engine to run right.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Tuning is considered optimizing fuel and spark maps for your setup

Comment

Cool, thanks. I wasn't seeking festiva advice elsewhere, I was just reading some random car discussion. Also yes, I think it was a video of a Honda blowing a new swap.
        Last edited by vanhick; 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Stay away from Honda videos , they are EVIL !
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Send me some tunes bhaz
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I hate you
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

As someone smart so aptly said "Even my dog could build a Honda"
                No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                X