Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple trick for dealing with a stuck axle shaft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple trick for dealing with a stuck axle shaft!

:violent1::angryfire:
    - Form should follow function...

Lol nice
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I think the axle won......

Comment

Yeah, you got the battle, but the war, well.....
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I used this trick to get Tweaks original tranny apart. It worked really well, but now I wish I had that cherry 5 speed in one piece. Lol.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Lol... yeah, I tried sooo hard to get this thing apart nicely. I wanted to see why it had failed and possibly try my hand at a rebuild. After wasting countless hours trying everything I could to "gently" get it apart, one of my wedges cracked the housing. At that point I was done being nice.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know where I can get a new clip for the transmission end of my axle from? I don't want to risk going through this again when I reinstall into my good 5 speed.
            - Form should follow function...

Comment

There are 2 shapes to those clips, and I would be willing to bet that the sticking axles are caused by using the incorrect shape of clip. One style is round, the other is more D shaped. I noticed this when i was rebuilding Pedro's axles ( which both popped out easily, and were original). The replacement clips in the rebuild kit were a different shape than the originals.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Lmfao that's hilarious!!

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

This belongs in the repair form! Lol

Comment

Where is the JB weld ??
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Wonder if shaft length changes requirement of using clips?

Swapped gearboxes in my work van, no clips. Pull/fall out. Never had an issue when everything is together. Hm?

Comment

Great, now I have to clean coffee off my monitor ty1

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          There are 2 shapes to those clips, and I would be willing to bet that the sticking axles are caused by using the incorrect shape of clip. One style is round, the other is more D shaped. I noticed this when i was rebuilding Pedro's axles ( which both popped out easily, and were original). The replacement clips in the rebuild kit were a different shape than the originals.
                          I have seen them come with ridiculously thick clips. One look was all I needed to reuse the one I popped out. Some I have coaxed into taking up less space for use.

This fix? Chalk one up to the aggression relief maneuvers
                          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I just did my axles yesterday on the aspire.

Went over to the passenger side with my pry bar and it popped out with ease first pry.

Went over to the driver side.
                            And to no avail it took me 2 hours to remove it.

Finally resorted to wedging my smallest pry bar against the axle "base"
                            Then proceeded to whack the handle with my 12 lb sledge for leverage and impact.
                            Axle came flying out with force onto the ground.

I also noticed both axles had the more D shaped clips but they weren't very thick as some mentioned.
                            They were mostly circular with slightly cornered edges on 2 spots.

I would recommend this trick to anyone.

On a side note. Man these new axles have 0 play inside them.
                            when i go to move and flex the joints
                            The joints are very solid compared to the 20yr old originals that will bend and flex with no force or resistance at all.
                            Last edited by rmoltis; 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

There are two different part numbers for that size axle spline from Mazda, I ordered both but can tell from the sizes that only one is right. When I get back to Tucson, I'll post pics and part numbers.
                              No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                              X