Copper anti-seize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper anti-seize

Was working on my rear strut bottom bolts today. Driver's side bolt came right out; it was covered in aluminum-based anti-seize. The pass. side bolt is, of course, welded to the metal tube it goes thru. I can get the strut off easily enough with the sawzall and the grinder wheel.

I'm sure I did both the same; I am very zealous about anti-seizing anything with threads I think I might be taking off in the future.

I remember somewhere that Charlie said to use copper-based anti-seize on steel-to-steel applications, of which this would be one. The aluminum-based stuff is better for spark plugs, when you have steel plug threads going into an aluminum head.

So, question for Charlie or any other knowledgeable readers: are there any brands that are much better than others? Or should I just grab the Permatex or Loctite 8 oz. bottle? I don't want this to happen to my new Bilsteins.

I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to unscrew this fastener annually, just to make sure you will be able to when you need to.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

I think you mean Nickel Based Anti Seize,not Aluminum.I've always used HIGH TEMP Copper based on my plugs. I haven't found any documentation from the manufacturers stating NOT to use HIGH TEMP on aluminum? We always used the High Temp on our Jet Engines ( I worked in Aviation for some time). They have two Ignite-rs per Engine (looks like a Huge Spark Plug). But the portion we threaded them into was Inconel 625 not Aluminum.I don't know if Charlie is concerned about dissimilar metal corrosion? But I've been digging but cant find it yet. Anyway I always use Nickel Base on my wheel studs,chassis bolts etc and save the Copper stuff for the Plugs. I copied this from Permatex MSDS DATA SHEET and it specifies using it on ALUMINUM HEADS....
    PRODUCT DESCRIPTION S.I.N.: 834-300

Permatex Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant is a high temperature,
    premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant. It
    contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a
    semi-synthetic, grease carrier and fortified with high quality
    rust and corrosion inhibitors. Meets Mil Spec A-907.
    PRODUCT BENEFITS
    Permatex Copper Anti-Seize was designed specifically for
    use on stainless steel or similar alloys. It protects threaded
    fasteners and fittings from heat, freezing, seizure or galling at
    temperatures from -30°F to 1800°F. It may be used on
    pumps, sensors, valves, nuts and bolts where extreme
    conditions of heat exist. Permatex Copper Anti-Seize also
    provides good electrical conductivity.
    TYPICAL APPLICATIONS
    • Spark plug threads installed into aluminum heads
    • Exhaust manifold and engine bolts
    • Oxygen sensors
    • Knock sensors
    • Thermostat housing bolts
    • Fuel filter fittings
    • Battery cable connections
    Peace-
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

This is another subject where misinformation lingers on. Luckily I am not an expert so I research the sites and it really adds to what I have actually experienced with it. I found a handy compilation from several plug manufacturers at clubprotege.com (forum). Enter (online) "should spark plugs be installed with anti-seize compound" and "using anti-seize lubricant" if you have the interest.
      Last edited by tooldude; 04-23-2015, 04:45 AM.
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
        This is another subject where misinformation lingers on. Luckily I am not an expert so I research the sites and it really adds to what I have actually experienced with it. I found a handy compilation from several plug manufacturers at clubprotege.com (forum). Enter (online) "should spark plugs be installed with anti-seize compound" and "using anti-seize lubricant" if you have the interest.
        Thats why I copied and pasted Permatex's reccomendations in post #2. We can debate all day long,but unless we go to the manufactors its all just heresay.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I've even had one guy tell me he used silicone to seal stuff from rust instead of anti-seize. I'm not sure if it was something specific for threads, maybe silicone grease? IDK.

I've just always used the grey stuff on anything I cared to use it on. Lug bolts/nuts, suspension stuff, spark plugs. Exhaust stuff it doesn't seem to help much on. So I may need to get some high temp stuff for those apps. But anything else I've never had an issue with.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Here's the thread where Charlie recommends using copper anti-seize. For shift linkages.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I use the copper for high heat and steel to aluminum The nickel gets used on steel to steel in non high heat areas.

Comment

Working...
              X