Old racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old racer

I work with an old racer that raced against Shelby himself. This guy has quite the car collection which includes an unrestored gt350 from the yesteryear, another similar not quite as racey mustang, a ws6 trans am, and a 2013 Shelby built gt350. We always get into heated debates about turbos. He owned a factory Ford pinto turbo, which was like a 1 of 10 ever made kind of thing. Supposedly. Which makes him a turbo pro. He describes to me how his boost reacted in that car and said that at peak rpm, the boost would drop 2-3psi because "there's just not enough exhaust gas at those rpms to keep it spinning". He's a great person, but he just cannot comprehend how e85 can be used as a race gas. According to him, "I had to rebuild that pinto turbo lots of times because back in the day we didn't realize that running them hard and shutting the engine down was a bad idea." but it didn't have an internal wastegate, just a small hole to leak exhaust gas by the exhaust wheel. Those old racers literally cannot comprehend new tech. Like how much turbo technology has changed since 1978.

Turbos had wastegates in '78. Lol Did he run with the early SCCA crew?
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

old turbos didnt have left handed treads on the compressor wheels so if you shut them down hard(wot to redline then let off completely to decel) the compressor wheels would work loose and chunk compressor housings. maybe thats what he meant. and all turbos need to run some kind of waste gate. highly doubt that they just ran a bleed hole being that production turbos have been around since the 1920's
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
        old turbos didnt have left handed treads on the compressor wheels so if you shut them down hard(wot to redline then let off completely to decel) the compressor wheels would work loose and chunk compressor housings. maybe thats what he meant. and all turbos need to run some kind of waste gate. highly doubt that they just ran a bleed hole being that production turbos have been around since the 1920's
        He kept wasting seals.

Comment

Compressor surge. They may have had a waste gate but did they have a blow-off on the intake side. When extra air gets built up and you close the throttle body that air will cause the wheel to surge if you don't remove the air from the pipe allowing it to free spool.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

IIRC that's why newish factory turbos had water cooling. Or people installed a turbo timer. Someone installed one in the GT sedan I had even though it had water cooling obviously. Probably hold-over thinking.
            Last edited by sketchman; 04-28-2015, 07:14 AM.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

He just doesn't get that maybe his boost drop was because of inefficiencies of the turbo map, instead of somehow decreased exhaust flow

Comment

Man I hate old people......
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                X