Cleaning the engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the engine bay

Hi guys, when I bought my Festy it had a leaky valve cover gasket. VERY leaky. The whole engine is thoroughly covered in oil and grime and I've been cleaning it up little by little. I have replaced the valve cover gasket already. I have been using washcloths and warm soapy water and its just too much work. I'm looking to try some cleaners to make my life a little bit easier and more efficient. What engine degreasers have you used to clean your engine and engine bay?

Thanks in advance!
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Zep 505. They have it at Home Depot and WalMart. Cut it 50/50 with water and don't spray it on a hot engine. Scrub it with a toilet brush, be careful not to get it on your skin as it burns a bit. I would do this at a self serve car wash and spray it off with the high pressure soap setting. The car wash soap is usually a base and the 505 is acidic. The carwash soap will neutralize the 505 residue so you don't risk corrosion when the engine heats up.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-28-2015, 02:22 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I've read mixed reviews about using a pressure washer on engine bays. I'm willing to try it but I want to make sure I'm very careful, as my Festy is my only mode of transportation. The main thing I would see being a possible issue is the alternator. I've heard covering it in shrink wrap does the trick.
      1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

When I pressure wash my engine it never fails no matter how careful I am, I get water in the distributor cap and in the tps sensor. Causes problems until I get it dried up.
        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Just don't spray the alternator directly, and you may have to take the disty cap off and spray it down with some electrical contact cleaner after to help dry it up. Engines are pretty resilient to water, but never spray a hot engine.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chobobulous View Post
            When I pressure wash my engine it never fails no matter how careful I am, I get water in the distributor cap and in the tps sensor. Causes problems until I get it dried up.
            I cover the disty cap and the alternator with aluminum foil before washing the engine bay.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I cover my head with aluminum foil to keep the radio waves from eating my brain. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                I cover my head with aluminum foil to keep the radio waves from eating my brain. :p
                Too late for me. See my thread "Endgame".
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Many detailing shops will do the messy job of cleaning engine bays. I recently had one steam cleaned underneath bumper-to-bumper (because it had been exposed to some salt this winter) and the engine bay top and bottom (car on a lift) for a mere $50. I gave the guy a 50% tip and still had a great deal. I've had just engine compartments cleaned in Anchorage for $100.

And ... these places undoubtedly are complying with EPA regs regarding recycling/filtering/whatever their water.
                  88L black, dailydriver
                  88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                  4 88/89 disassembled
                  91L green
                  91GL aqua pwrsteer
                  92GL red a/c reardmg
                  3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                  1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

^ good tip. Full service details like that are 500+ dollars down here in Phoenix. A friend of mine gets them done regularly on cars that he buys to sell.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-01-2015, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X