SVT swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVT swap?

Hey guys, I've been doing some thinking about engine swaps and I've always wondered if it would be possible to swap the 2.0L Zetec engine from a SVT Focus into our little Festys. I know its a bit bigger, and that may be a dealbreaker, but I've seen some pretty awesome stuff on this forum, so I have a feeling someone could do it. I have a feeling the firewall would have to be heavily modified, along with the cpu and other important components. (Understand that I have not performed any significant engine upgrades in my life and this is mostly picking the brains of the fine gentlemen we have on this forum)

I owned a competition orange SVT Focus EAP before I owned my festiva, but I sold it before I got married, because I know the money could be put to better use (and the Premium fuel was killing me, back when gas was $4+/gallon). Then I bought my Festiva for $750 and am enjoying the savings. That SVT Focus was an amazing car, and handled better than most cars in its class. I had a blast throwing that thing around. Anyways, the transmission was solid, the motor was great, had good power, and you can find them for a decent price. It may not have as much hp as a BP+t swap, but if you put a turbo (or even a supercharger, if you wanted to go that route) on the zetec, which has been done many times, you may get some surprising results in a car as light as a Festiva.

Anyway, I will not be mad if you crush my dreams, but is this even a possibility for our Festivas?
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

when i was looking through the junkyard to find the motor for my swap(soon to come) i seen that motor and was seriously debating on buying it for the swap i think you could get it to fit but allot of modification would come with it along with the wire harness from a focus or a custom computer and hand made harness
    88 L carb'ed (when up in flames of glory)(deceased) 4spd
    89 L carb'ed (died on the operating table (rust))(deceased) 5spd
    93 gl FI (sold) automagical
    89 lx FI megasquirted "luna" b6D+t (186hp 209ftlbs)
    88 L carbFI megasquirted zombie car

Comment

I think you'll have a tough time getting it between the frame rails. But those can always be modified.

Comment

There are several engines that are better candidates for multiple reasons. I don't think the Zetec has ever been successfully swapped in to a Festy, but this topic comes up several times a year. I will just say what I've said the last 3 times. Somebody just do this swap already!
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 04-30-2015, 02:41 PM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

If I had more knowledge, time and money I would try it. 170 hp felt pretty good in the SVT, I bet it'd feel a whole lot better after losing 1000 lbs.
          1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
          2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

Most definitely. Also, if you loved the way your SVT handled, you would crave driving the festy like a junkie craves a fix. With the right setup these cars will outhandle just about anything on the road.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

A completely swapped Festy is one of my dream cars. Too bad dreams take funding (which is a little lean at the moment) to come true!

Comment

If your creative, you can swap for very little money. Some people have actually managed to make money by parting out the donor car. You can also barter services and things for what you need. Keep in mind that the U.S. dollar is only 33 percent efficient at best. Don't limit your goals by how much money you have.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X