Carb to EFI Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb to EFI Inquiry

Hello all. First of all, I hope this is in the right place, I apologize if not. I was just curious if it was even possible (within reason) to take an earlier carb'd car and convert the existing motor to an EFI from the later cars. I'm talking about keeping the original motor, but swapping to the EFI setup from later years. Not sure if this is even a possibility or not. I'm sure I'll end up engine swapping later but right now it's not on the forecast. I'm just brainstorming right now. I've always owned EFI cars, and never a carb, so I'm curious about the possibility. If it's not possible or too much work I'll just rock the carb and learn as I go - probably what I'd do anyways, gotta learn about those carbs at some point. :-)

Yes it's possible, but a lot of work. You will also need an EFI fuel tank, electric pump and the entire wiring harness. Don't forget the computer + fuel pump relay.

Carbs are great as long as they are not computer controlled like the ones in 88/89 Festivas.

Much easier just to change the carb and throw out the computer + all the vacuum hose spaghetti.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 05-18-2015, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Bravekozak has done exactly the opposite; EFI B3 over to no-electronics twin carb B6. Lots of folks on here are wiring/electronics gurus but if this is a first time effort for you then you'll want to have serious long term goals for that car because you can't be doing it in the hopes of improving the resale value.

Comment

Sounds like it may make more sense to just stick with the carb. Only problem is it is in a 88 Festiva, the exception to the great ones apparently, lol.

In that case, being an 88, what would you recommend?

Comment

At least you've got an 88 and not an auto EFI 89 for which some engine control parts are non-existent. The modern generation has been taught to fear carburetors and yet they've been around for well over a century and are simple and reliable.
          I think OEM carb Festys were electronically vacuum-controlled which is kind of an oxymoron. Search feature ought to enlighten you on how to revert to a much simpler mechanical system. Some mid to late 80s Mazdas featured carbed B6 engines and if you retrofit one of these (same basic engine as B3) you won't have to contemplate serious wiring upgrades and you can easily pick up another 20-30 hp.

The other option is to inexpensively find a crashed or dead 90-93 Festy and transfer over the wiring harness/ECU and any and all of the engine control systems.

Comment

Working...
          X