Aspire vs rio Troy struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire vs rio Troy struts

So my driver side wheel bearing exploded and I'm going to the yard in a few to get rio knuckles for both sides. While I'm there I'm wondering if it's worth the extra 30 bucks to get the rio struts, it's half off today and tomorrow. Anyone know if the rio ones are that much better than aspire ones? I think I read something about rio ones turn better? Let me know. And if you need something from the yard comment quick.
    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

GOT MEGA AUTOCORRECTED IN THE TITLE
    Tommy

Comment

If the Rio struts are in good shape, yes they have more damping than Aspire or Festiva ones, even the Festy KYBs. The Rio strut top mounts have actual ball bearings, not just a flat washer-type bearing. You will want to cut the Festy or Aspire spring you are using by one coil, otherwise it will be too tall in the Rio strut. Don't bother using a Rio spring, it is also too tall and much heavier; unless you want that. You will still need to cut it, maybe 1.5 coils. Get good long bump stops (KYB SB118, Rock Auto, $14)

If the Rio JY strut is no good, at least get the top hat and buy a new Rio strut.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I wouldn't use a Rio strut unless it was dirt cheap. You can get new mk3 vw struts pretty cheap and they are a better choice.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Thanks, I'll save the money then
          Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            I wouldn't use a Rio strut unless it was dirt cheap. You can get new mk3 vw struts pretty cheap and they are a better choice.
            What years constitute VW mk3? What mods are needed to adapt it to the Festy? If you are talking about using them for coilovers, the added expense of springs and top hats more than makes up for the lower price on the strut itself.

The advantage of the Rio strut is you just bolt it on, and have a better top bearing included. Just mod the Festy spring to get back to stock height.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X