Possible purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible purchase?

Just wanted to get some insight. Looking at a '93 auto. Says it has A/C but, the "part" is not installed. I'm pretty sure there is more than one part for a functioning A/C system. Car is red, looks in good shape and has 59,000 original miles. Is there any way to check that it has these actual miles and not has been tampered with? If this is a members car, I apologize but, I'm trying to be cautious as I have never had a Festiva... Thanks for the help in advance and I hope I'm not bothering anyone with my stupid questions... I'm wanting to go look at it this weekend if my full size truck sells Friday like I'm planning it will. The guy says he has cash and will be down Friday night to "pick it up." So, I got my fingers crossed this truck goes! htd
    Last edited by georgie vertical; 05-20-2015, 07:38 PM.

That would be 2,682 miles/year, or 223 miles/month. Possible of some old geezer owned it and only drove it in his town or something, but unlikely. Look for wear, look for rust, ask for repair records--they might have the mileage listed on them when the repair was made, so you can check for discrepancies. Don't pay too much either. What are they asking for it? Is it a very small dealer/car-sales lot?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Also look for oil leaks. take the air intake hose off. see if oil is inside.

David

Comment

It's a private party. He's asking $1,350 but came down to $1,000 just over text messaging asking if the price was negotiable. It looks decent but, not sure what to look for on these cars for tell tale signs. Oil inside the intake could just be $3.00 PCV valve? Correct?
        Last edited by georgie vertical; 05-20-2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by georgie vertical View Post
          It's a private party. He's asking $1,350 but came down to $1,000 just over text messaging asking if the price was negotiable.
          That's a little suspicious in itself. Pretty big drop. Look it over carefully. You might still want the car but find other issues, and negotiate the price accordingly.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Correct, I looked up the private party value and it's still close to $2,200 in "good shape" if this is the correct info

Comment

More things to check to be sure that the 59,000 original miles is correct.
              Check the wear on the brake and gas pedals (I'm assuming it's an automatic.. if not also check the clutch pedal wear). If the pedals show hardly any wear they may have been replaced though.
              For that many miles the wear on the seats should be very minimal. Compare the seat wear on the pictures I recently posted of my 99,9500 mile Nellie to the seats in the car you are looking at.
              In addition, if the miles are truly correct, you still may have a problem with the oil seals if the engine sat for a long periods of time without being started.

Don't worry too much if there is just a little oil in the intake hose. Even the 37,000 mile engine in Nellie has just a little blow by. But if a lot..be worried.
              Last edited by 1990new; 05-20-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the info. I'll see if he can get me a few interior pics

Comment

How far away is the seller, if they are within 2 maybe 3 hours, go check it out in person, pictures sometimes hide things. Good luck
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

It's about an hour straight West of me. I'll go this weekend sometime

Comment

As for the mileage, you could try the carfax. I remember one time I went to look at a 01 Subaru Legacy GT Limited and had my friend run the Carfax (He works at a dealership) and the mileage ended up being wayyy off. He had it posted, and the odometer said, 112k, but the carfax read over 185k, which still isn't bad for a Subaru, but it was still a major concern (in my eyes) that it had been tampered with. Not sure if it was his doing, or the previous owner's. It hadn't been registered for quite a while if I remember correctly. It was being sold at a private used car sales lot. Apparently, he buys auction cars and resells them for cheap. Anyway, I'm rambling now. To the point: if you get the VIN #, I may be able to ask him to run it before you leave. I'll PM you my number and you can send me the VIN # if you get it.
                      1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Sounds good Tyler. I'll keep you posted if I can make it this weekend to look. I messaged you back with my info and number. Shoot me a text when you can. Going to coach baseball now

Comment

Well, the guy came down to look at the truck and said he would be back today. I guess he bailed on me because I have not seen him and he has not replied to any of my texts... Guess, I will put a quick paint job on this truck and post it tomorrow night on Craigslist... It's already primed and sanded so, The paint should go quick!

Comment

Working...
                          X