No announcement yet.

First Festiva. I traded a boat for it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Festiva. I traded a boat for it.

I traded a 10 foot aluminum flat bottom boat (that I paid 15 dollars for) for a running 93 Festiva! I believe I came out on top in this deal. It needs a new oil pan gasket, shifter bushings, and it sounds like a wheel bearing is going out. Other than that I've already had more fun out of this car than I ever had in that boat!

1. Awesome!
    2. Welcome to the forum.
    3. Hillsboro where?
    4. Oil pan gaskets rarely go out. Might the problem be farther up, like head gasket or valve cover gasket? You could spray the motor (and tranny) down with brake cleaner and see what leaks.

I read a story a few years ago about a guy who started trading things. Went from a very small trade, like $10 or so, and over a period of many trades ended up with a house! :-)

Shifter bushings and rear wheel bearings are easy to fix. Are you a good shadetree mechanic?
    Last edited by TominMO; 05-24-2015, 12:18 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Hillsboro TN. Where we have more cows than people. Its definitely the oil pan. I at first thought it was the crank pully seal but after tearing everything off I saw the oil pan gasket hanging out up under the crank where the feller I got it from did a mighty piss poor job of installing it. I loosened the oil pan and salvaged what gasket I could and filled in the blanks with permatex. Not the ideal solution but due to my recently getting laid off it'll have to do until I can come in to some money. As far as shadetree mechanic goes I dont even bother with the tree! I go at it right there in the sun!

Comment

Happiest 2 days in boat ownership - the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Congrats. Festy will give most people way more fun than a boat.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Welcome, how abuot some pics? I'd like to see what a Festiva that was traded for an aluminum boat looks like.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
          1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Festiva 2.jpgFestiva 1.jpgFestiva 3.jpg

Comment

15 bux for a running Festy with little or no rust. O. M. G!
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

What if that guy would put a Festiva engine in that boat - could he get 44 MPG? - and pull a barge? At least it might be a little safer to carry gas cans inside that boat than inside a car.
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

If you want to double your money, I'll give you $30. But seriously, if you consider selling it let me know, I miss my Festiva.
                  Last edited by Eaglefreek; 05-25-2015, 10:04 AM.
                  Rick
                  1993 Ford Festiva
                  1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                  1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                  2000 Ford E350

Comment

Wow what a deal! Good looking festy!
                    -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                    -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                    -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

You did Great! Welcome to the MADNESS.
                      I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Great deal and welcome. I'm about 3 hours away from ya in henderson. I'll warn u these little cars will suck you in. I've had mine for 3 months . After you get the basics done on her I would check out the advanced suspension thread. You will have a completely diff car after that
                        1990 festiva l (747 the jumbo jet) (b6t & g box)

Comment

That's a really nice Festiva, especially for your 15 dollar investment.
                          The oil pan gaskets on these can be a PITA. I've had brand new ones leak.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'll mention this before it becomes necessary: the driver side rear hub castle nut is LEFT TIGHTEN. Of course, spin it right to take it off. These cars are getting too rare to make the mistake that the threads are the same. Welcome!
                            Last edited by DriverOne; 05-30-2015, 09:03 AM.
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                              I'll mention this before it becomes necessary: the driver side rear hub castle nut is LEFT TIGHTEN. Of course, spin it right to take it off. These cars are getting too rare to make the mistake that the threads are the same. Welcome!
                              It's the passenger side rear that has the reverse threads NOT the driver's side.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X