93 Barn Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Barn Find

1993 Barn Find (a trailer park actually) --- I just bought a 1993 Festiva L with 56,670 original miles. A little old lady living in a trailer park in Tucson who couldn't walk anymore had her son post the car for sale on CL for $2,000. The best part about the ad (besides the car of course) is there were instructions not to call until 4pm, so that maybe kept the other buyers away who didn't want to make anyone angry. I took the risk, called at noon, and got an appointment to see it right away. Drove down from Phoenix almost two hours and could not believe what I saw. An original white 93, blue interior, L trim (and an aftermarket non working ac). I could not figure out why the car had an aftermarket air conditioner with such low miles so after making my deal of a century I asked about it. The little old innocent lady turned into a hard ass about her price, but after some negotiation and giving her most of the advantage in the name of integrity, we came to a fair deal. Once I got the notarized title in my hands I asked about the aftermarket ac. As the story goes the lady who could not even stand up said she used to be a professional prize winner. According to her, back in 1992-93 there was a prize promotion being offered by some toothpaste company (she and her husband thought maybe Colgate but could not remember). It required a letter be sent in to enter the contest for a new Ford Festiva. She said normally it is just postcards required for contest promotions but they wanted letters for the Ford. She said she sent in about 500 letters and was soon notified she won the car. The car not coming with ac and in the L Trim package made more sense since it was a contest prize car. Her husband explained that a few years later he took it down to a place near his home in Southern California (dry and hot Riverside almost it's entire life, then Tucson which is the same weather) where they lived at the time and had ac installed. He said the ac was working a couple years ago but recently quit. They said since it was a prize she won they had always taken good care of the car and tried not to drive it too much. It looks like they averaged 2,500 miles a year!!! Mine now...owners manuals, buyers info cards, booklets, key card, and two original keys.

My dad got one of these when he started working at Boeing in 1992 on his second career, and 20 years later when he retired he still had that car with almost 250k on it. He drove 100 miles r/t to get to work so the Festiva made sense for him. I always wanted one like it and finally got my chance. 93 Ford_pic01.JPG93 Ford_pic02.jpg93 Ford_pic03.JPG93 Ford_pic04.JPG
    Attached Files

Congratulations on your find. I respect no rust.
    A non-condensing environment is perfect for long term preservation.
    I also respect 57K miles.

Comment

Nice find.
      93 Festiva L Aqua(Fern) 5speed 218,000kms-DD and holding on (rusting )
      93 Festiva L Caymen green Metallic 156,000km. 5speedOngoing project
      90 Festiva L Bright Blue Metallic 36,000km,5speed, my rust free BPproject.

Comment

Thank you all. It was a long search. Was not seeing anything that hadn't been in a smash up derby or was passed around from one car abuser to the next for a few hundred bucks. This one should work out well.

Comment

Update: lifted out the back carpet and it was very clean minus a little dust. 100% rust free top to bottom comes with it's fall-backs though. Being from a hot a dry climate and not actually stored in a barn but the side of a trailer, the sun has taken a good toll on the interior. Steering wheel feels rough and a little brittle on the backside, and of course the seats just want to rip and turn to foam powder the moment I sat down. Nothing a good seat cover can't fix.

Comment

There's not many left with that kind of mileage. Great find!

You could probably get a decent amount of money for that dash mat.
            Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
            Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
            White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
            White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
            Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
            Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
            Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
            White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Thx

Comment

Welcome to the club! You have no idea how jealous I am that you snagged my dream car and I didn't even see it, but I won't let my jealousy stop me from helping however I can. Lol. It's nice to see a fellow member here in the valley. Also, I call dibs if you ever sell that car.... just saying.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Wow ! That is cool you got the story, plus your own. Enjoy!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

In hindsight I should have snapped a picture with the previous owners but they were not doing so good, both using walkers and the woman who won it literally could not stand she had her little command center all set up in the kitchen of the trailer. She was quick on her wits when we started negotiation though. Right in the middle of "hello, I'm here to buy your car..." she just blurted out her bottom line and that was it, negotiation stopped. LOL. Initially I just wanted to score a smoking deal but after seeing the situation I gave them the advantage. They were really great people who appeared to have had an eventful life. Finding a car with low use has its problems as I did not want to just drive off in it two hours on the highway back to Phoenix, so I hooked it up to the truck and towed it with the front wheels off the ground. Tune up, fluid changes, and inspections are all in order this week before I venture out. So far the parts needed for a simple tune and fluid change are not easy finds. Got the Bosch platinum plugs and oil filter at walmart, but air filter and other items not so easy. Called Ford and was able to get the very last air filter in AZ from their warehouse the guy said was sitting in the obsolete section. LOL. I'll update as I move along.

Comment

Congratulations on you great score. Post some more pictures when you have time... engine bay, close up seats, etc.

Comment

Aspire front seats are an excellent and easy upgrade:
                        Easy Aspire front seat swap
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Those spark plugs have brought me an awful lot of diagnostic work. If you use them do not try to set the gap, the platinum pellet breaks loose, it is too small to notice unless you really look for it. They usually fall off within a few weeks. It still runs but not as smooth and it will not pass emissions. Power falls off. Right now the most reliable plug I sell is the NGK V power. Back to the Bosch, as long as that platinum pellet stays in place they work as good as any plug.
                          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Parts sources are eBay, RockAuto.com, Greensales co. and Four Green. Locally, contact Ryal (dragonhealer) he's in Tucson and has a strong Mazda parts network. He is also very picky about the parts he buys. Those Bosch plugs will work fine, but in the future go NGK v-power. Napa gold oil filters, as well as wix and the premium ones at CarQuest(all are made by wix). I've been buying my oil filters by the half dozen off an eBay seller who has the real motorcraft ones. Get a set of NGK plug wires, they are the gold standard for these cars.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Sounds like an amazing deal! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X