#$%#!! Fell Off!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #$%#!! Fell Off!!

I dropped my Festiva off last night to get it Maryland inspected. They pull off the wheels to look at the brakes etc. Well ....... on the way home this afternoon, I went over a bump and heard a funny noise and then the back of the car starting acting real strange. I pulled over and the right rear wheel was almost off the car!! :shock: :shock: They stripped all the threads out of the spindle nut (isn't it left hand threads on that side?)! I called and complained and they towed it to my house for free. What fun loading and unloading off the rollback! And to top it off I didn't pass inspection. What a bummer of a day. The car seems none the worse for the experience (thank goodness). Just needed to vent a little ..........
    1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
    1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
    1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
    1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
    1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
    1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
    1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Oh man that sucks, is the state going to pay for repairs?
    AIM= bobbo216

Comment

I'd be calling them back asking who's gonna pay for the repair?
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Is the spindle nut on the passenger rear left hand threads? This is my first Festiva and I've never had the drums off it yet. There's no threads left on the nut. I think the put the wrong hand thread on with a impact or something, makes me wonder how they reset the bearing preload.
        1986 Comp Prep SVO Mustang(1 of 83) Four cylinder turbo! (Think first Fox body "R" model!)
        1995 F-150 Extra Cab and it was free!
        1991 Festiva L, Surf Blue with A/C
        1995 Jeep Cherokee 2wd 5 speed 4.0 and it was free!
        1993 Aqua Festiva and it was cheap!
        1994 Brake Swap and it was cheap!
        1969 Ford F100 Big Block Ranger and it was free! (coming 2/12)

Comment

do the words LAWSUIT come to mind yet????

the shop you took it to messed up so badly and they knew they messed up
          and still they let you drive home without any warning of the impending danger.

take it back and RAISE HOLY HELL

if they don't replace the spindle and the bearings with all new parts ,
          GET A LAWYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and don't let them feed you crap about the strut not coming off, it is their fault in the first place for having to make the repairs

Comment

and you may also take this matter to the Maryland State Police
            because they certify all MD state inspectors

Comment

Yes, the right rear axel nut is LEFT hand thread.
              ~Jeff
              1988 Festiva LX Silver 5speed. 219,000 miles. My new daily driver.
              1988 Festiva L Plus Red 2brl 4speed. 504,477 miles and holding till I get the speed-o fixed.
              2003 Mustang GT 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by Kraig
                Is the spindle nut on the passenger rear left hand threads? This is my first Festiva and I've never had the drums off it yet. There's no threads left on the nut. I think the put the wrong hand thread on with a impact or something, makes me wonder how they reset the bearing preload.
                if you think they put the nut on the wrong side better check the other side. glad i don't live somewhere i HAVE to let someone else take my car apart. do ask who's responsible for this , you could have gotten seriously hurt and maybe taken someone else with you.
                91 u.s. festiva L 189423 mi. GL int. , engine started smoking [sold]
                93 u.s. festiva gl 222000 mi. bad engine , parts car [sold]
                1981 ford F-100 400000+ miles ? , looks rough - runs good
                1963 1/2 Ford Falcon 4 door base model , 106000 original miles , second owners

Comment

Had the same thing happen after a "brake inspection" at Midas. Only mine did shear the spindle off, and the right rear wheel fell off the car. While I was going 50mph. :evil:

On the plus side, I got a whole lot of new parts installed for free. :roll:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                  1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                  1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                  Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                  X