My 5 speed puked!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 5 speed puked!!

Hey all.....Just yesterday I was comin home after golfing and got out of the parking lot ok but when I shifted into second onto the road home, the shifter and tranny went clunk!
    It goes into what feels like a gear but I hear a nasty bang bang sound ....no leaks, it runs fine.

So, the question is: in preparation for a tranny swap, are all the 5 speed fi's trannys the same from 90-93?
    I'm gonna replace the clutch as long as I'm in there, whats a good one to buy?
    Any ideas on my problem....is it just the throwout bearing possibly, any one else have this issue?
    Its a low mileage car, 83k, bummer. But I'm gonna keep it alive, I've gone too far with it to give up now.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
    92 GL, 98k
    77 Chevy shortbed

Check it out more..
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

All the festiva 5 speeds are the same. Carb or EFI. You can use a 4 speed as well but you'll miss 5th gear. Aspire works too but a bit more rpm on the highway.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

it might be axle shaft related ?

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          All the festiva 5 speeds are the same. Carb or EFI. You can use a 4 speed as well but you'll miss 5th gear. Aspire works too but a bit more rpm on the highway.
          Thanks bhazard....thats good news.....now just have to find a transmission locally......and does anyone have a clutch brand that is good for stockers?
          92 GL, 98k
          77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Exedy or Luk

Exedy if you want Japanese.

Luk if you want USA, Germany, or Hungary made clutches.
            Luk kits are about $60, and Exedy about $105.

Honestly I hear lots of good things about LUK clutches, apparently they are OEM for lots of Fords.

I have no idea what the OEM clutch is on the Festiva, but if I was to take a shot in the dark, I would say Valeo.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

LUK has a good following out here, no problems in a lot of clutch jobs. I have had problems with house brands.

I have had to repair a few Aspire tranny's and just acquired another. Festiva tranny's are tougher. The Aspire tranny's are weaker in the final drive and weaker in the shift linkage brackets..internal.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                it might be axle shaft related ?
                I think we have a BINGO.....a tech at work said to check that and sure enough the end of the shaft where it meets the tranny just spins freely, the other side does not and I can almost see the bearings by crawling underneath.....so, a big whew/wipe brow here........I'll know more in a few days.......thanks Movin.....and everyone else.
                92 GL, 98k
                77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Working...
                X