No announcement yet.

Need advice on Festiva that's for sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Festiva that's for sale.

So I found a festiva for $500 bucks. It has cooling issue, maybe cracked block according to the owner. That's fine with me because I'm looking for a candidate for an engine swap.

He also says it needs a front end alignment pretty bad.

Quote from seller: "Although I haven't looked at it yet my prediction from the way it drives is that one or both of the steering arms needs to be adjusted. The car will pull to the left when driving and in order to go in a straight line you need about 70 degrees of right steering input. No shaking or vibrating"

My question: It does have the dent pictured on the right front fender. Does it look serious enough to have caused frame damage? What could cause it to be pulling to one side like that? Should I take my money and run?

I hit a curb slightly with my Saturn at 5mph and bent the engine k frame all up. Not sure what kind of hit a festiva can take?

Thanks for any advice!
    CIMG0540.jpg
    Last edited by wwwdotgov; 06-30-2015, 10:13 PM.

Worn out front end parts seem to be common with festivas. Most people dont realize just how important that stuff is. A simple rubber bushing on the sway bar can cause all sorts of issues.

The good thing is you can pretty much rebuild the whole front end for a couple hundred bucks.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If the pulling occurred immediately after the hit, I would suspect the tire and wheel were also hit and bent the strut. The frame should probably be checked to be sure the mounting bracket for the control arm has not been shifted, besides any other problems.
      When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

The sub frame is tempered metal, it can bend a little but will crack if pulled straight.
        Look at that area carefully from underneath. Anything else can be replaced. The frame horn can be replaced but the cost will be extensive....more than our cars are worth.

This part is an enclosed maybe 1 x 5 that arches over the cv shaft...that is where it is weak and may bend, compare sides carefully.

Creative front end work can make the car usable but it will never be worth full value that way.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Do not buy the car if it has been in an accident.

Take it for a test drive to a garage and have it professionaly inspected on a hoist.

Respectfuly decline to purchase it, if confirmed.

Comment

I can run a VIN check for free if you would like.
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
            Feel free to PM me anytime!
            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Okay.
              Thanks guy's for all the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X