Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Festy not quite as spirited as the 1st ~ HELP PLS

Hello All ,

thanks for the welcome into this community . Im deffo a festyholic . Just bought my #2 yesterday & felt the needing to get informed ,, found this forum.

Brief story, so BLU3BIRD was my first ,, a '90 L manual 5-spd , with the b3 in it i think ... n she was a hoot , loads of trips up&down i5 corridor .. to cali & back 3× , canon beach w/ mom & pup ... stock as far as i knew , but a kicker . She faced an untimely death at the stern of a MAC Tools truck due to negligent (falling asleeping) driving & i was heartbroken.

Spent several moons in an 83 Tercel SR5 to the tune of some good times , but her engine started knocking recently & havent been driving her (please pm if you know anyone with interest in So. Seattle area on that SR5 for parts etc.)

Needed to get something running & couldnt shake the urge to get back behind the wheel of a festy again,

So now AMY , whos been with me for a day now , has an unknown motor in it (looks diff than the b3 for sure... dif intake tubes , i dunno just looks way diff ) & more oddly , i think , a non stock transmission ? At least its deff not a stock shifter ! I keep grabbing at where the stock shifter would be to the result of sad air in my paw :` (

AMY has a few issues but seems to drive quite well , little over a 100k on the "clock" ... they are:
    this AM upon firing ... some bluish smoke in the exhaust (oil seems clean though) possibly burning oil ?
    around 50mph we start to wiggle a little , moreso ~40mph in 4th gear ... (pile shacking cools down upwards of 60)
    r&p feels a little loose esp w L turning ... hoping a visit to Les Schwab can straighten some of that out
    My Main concern is the sound of it . BLU3BIRD had a pretty throaty rumble & would sort of sing at around 3300rpm ... whereas this motor sounds kind of whiny . The whinyness worsens at higher speeds (50>)
    oh & the ebrake baaaaarely works , like it needs to be reeefed into place to get grip on the dru,s , hopefully thats a simple cable adjustment ??

So,
    i need to fix the shifter ASAP . maybe theres a junkyard car with a shifter in place .. how hard would that be to change out ? Also , could the diff shifter mean a diff tranny ?? Which could be the whiny part ? Oy.. dont wanna have to transwap

The guys i bought AMY from are auction flippers & 24hr roadside mechanics ... young .. small town . drinkers. So , im expecting to find some hidden BSery that they patch fixed or covered up . But, they did say the recently replaced the CV joints , did an alignment (which i cant seem to feel then effects of other than he claimed that before it was pulling to R not L lol) ... more worryingly said that it was a hyundai under the hood (which is close ... south korean still... but not true) which made me think it mightve had some hyundai trans in it ...

Wanting this to be an awesome reliable car
    love the way these corner & park downtown
    not the greatest mechanic (i.e. not a mechanic but can do an oil change kinda style) but am totallt open to learning & i have some tools

To do list probably includes an oil change w some kind of flush , brake & suspension check , taking pictures of the shifter (maybe someone can identify it?) & of the motor , can yall think of any other first steps?

Excitedly,
    joni junebug

Hi Joni, welcome to the Forum. Some pics of the motor and trans would help us ID it. These are basically Mazdas, made by Kia. It most likely has a motor/tranny swap from another Mazda, as that is simplest and by far the most common. Hopefully a Festivite who lives close by can come look at it and do some of the easy fixes, and recommend others. Someone knowledgeable could do a lot in a few hours. Keep an eye on oil and coolant levels.

I used to live in Cannon Beach BTW.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-18-2015, 08:13 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
    X