Instrument cluster compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument cluster compatibility

My '90 Festiva with automatic trans has a tach, while the new '91 with manual trans does not. Can I switch 'em? Is the '91 wired for it?

Should plug right up, the only thing you have to do is reroute the speedo cable so it comes out on the side rather than in the middle. There is a how to in the article section of this forum that will walk you through the process.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Yes it will swap out no problem, just reroute the speedo cable like htchbck said. Or buy a second one!
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Cool - thanks, guys. That just went way down on the list of priorities though. I'm examining the front end and have discovered it needs ball joints and wheel bearings. Needs 'em really bad... driver's side ball joint has a full 1/8" of play in it up and down. On the passenger side I jacked it up and wiggled the wheel at 3 and 9 o-clock and thought "whoa, that tie rod end is about to fall apart!" Upon closer inspection though it turns out the tie rod is fine; all that play is in the wheel bearings! "Yikes", says I.

So I got a lot of screwing around to do if I'm going to drive the new one to Ohiostiva :-)

Comment

this thread use to have pics.
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Re: Instrument cluster compatibility

Originally posted by Dave G
            My '90 Festiva with automatic trans has a tach, while the new '91 with manual trans does not. Can I switch 'em? Is the '91 wired for it?
            OK, back to this. Just made the swap and everything works fine in both cars. The only hitch was that I also had to swap speedo cables; the automatics cable was about 1.5" inches shorter and just would not reach.

Comment

If you reroute the original cable it is long enough without changing cables.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva
                If you reroute the original cable it is long enough without changing cables.
                I did route it right, wouldn't reach. Pulled both inners out and compared 'em - the one was and inch and a half longer... Switched cables, and all was well.

Comment

Working...
                X