• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed swap in 88

What transmission do I need to bolt to my 88 festiva 1.3 carb engine

Will I need to swap flywheel
    I'll replace clutch of course

Welcome to the Community! A 5 speed festiva transmission is your best choice. It bolts right up and requires nothing different. The Aspire transmission is your second best choice, as it also bolts right up with no changes. The Aspire Gear ratio is not as good for gas mileage as the Festiva tranny though, and Aspire transmissions are less reliable according to many members reports of failure on this forum.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      Welcome to the Community! A 5 speed festiva transmission is your best choice. It bolts right up and requires nothing different. The Aspire transmission is your second best choice, as it also bolts right up with no changes. The Aspire Gear ratio is not as good for gas mileage as the Festiva tranny though, and Aspire transmissions are less reliable according to many members reports of failure on this forum.
      In order to swap the aspire trans in, you will also need the front transmission mount and bracket from the aspire.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Where are you located? There may be forum members close by with an extra transmission or could help you source one.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
          In order to swap the aspire trans in, you will also need the front transmission mount and bracket from the aspire.
          Didn't know this. Good info. Is the bolt pattern different on the aspire trans mount?
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Didn't know this. Good info. Is the bolt pattern different on the aspire trans mount?
            The case is built slightly different but the bracket takes up for the difference. I should take a picture of them side by side for comparison. I think I have both lying on the floor in my shop...
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

I'm in concord nc

Comment

I need a transmission ASAP my 4 speed is pouring fluid from a Crack in the case

Comment

PM sent
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Got one pending pickup from Jerry (team lighting) , love this forum already

Comment

Do I need to change anything with the shifter to make it work with the 5 speed ?

Comment

Shouldn't have to. It should bolt right in. The shifter gate/shifter pattern is inside the transmission.
                        Last edited by Team Lightning; 07-31-2015, 11:01 PM.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Picked up transmission yesterday, from Jerry (team lighting). Got a lil time in the shop tonight , got the transmission out. Gonna pick up clutch and cv's tomorrow hopefully finish it up.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X