Hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackers

I'm not concerned about hackers taking control of my Festiva, but of taking control of all the other cars and trucks on the road.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Yep, new cars SUCK.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

And its just going to continue. Notice also how most of the new 'safety' features have the potential to kill you if they malfunction?
      Steer for you, brake for you, tighten your seatbelt for you, slam your headrest forward for you, infinite adjustment of your headlights for you. Follow speed limits for you....
      Lets say you hit a deer not too hard at night and decide to continue driving home. Your auto brake sensor points a couple degrees off and your car slams on the brakes for every oncoming vehicle, your road lines/steering sensor is a bit off and sends you too the shoulder of the road where theres a huge pothole. Which you hit and your seatbelt jerks you back and your hands fly off the steering wheel and your headrest slams foreward and knocks you out. Lol.
      Oh and your headlight sensor got broken so your stuck with your low beams on.
      Sound like fun? :p
      Thats so much safer than in the old days where you could just continue driving home...
      Oh and your car is a write off because those sensors are expensive, your turning-around-corners and rain sensing auto adjusting LED headlights have a crack and their $1500 each, your $1000 mirror came off and your $3500 infrared camera in your grille got a cracked lens.
      Not to mention volvo's new collapsing seats. Designed to crumple to save your spine if you go off the road at 60km/hr. How do you think that will hold up after 20years of fatigue from bumps and gravel roads when you hit someone head on and your each doing 100km/hr? That seat is going out thru the windshield i say. Not that it matters because cars will have expirey dates soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A head on at that speed isn't gonna be good in any vehicle.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

No, but volvo says that by 2020 you will not be able to die in a crash in their cars...
          So 5 years from now people will be on the streets trying to see if thats true.
          And i would still rather stay in the car...

Comment

And I thought the most expensive option was gold laminated defrost windshields in Lincoln Town cars!

Comment

The job boards for Detroit and Ann Arbor have many postings seeking engineers to work on <you-name-it>-by-wire (e.g. steering, braking, etc.). Bad software could lead to all kinds of bad things happening.
              88L black, dailydriver
              88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
              4 88/89 disassembled
              91L green
              91GL aqua pwrsteer
              92GL red a/c reardmg
              3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
              1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                No, but volvo says that by 2020 you will not be able to die in a crash in their cars...
                So 5 years from now people will be on the streets trying to see if thats true.
                And i would still rather stay in the car...

Sounds like the premise of this short story is coming true.
                Library Article: Fiction piece from Road & Track -- November 1973, pp.148-150 at The MG Experience

The same story also inspired the Rush song "Red Barchetta."

Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
                Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
                White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
                White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
                Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
                Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
                Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
                White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Working...
                X