Well, damn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, damn.

Dragged home another festy. It's a 1990.
    Price was good (got money back too. story to come), very little rust, and I believe it to be a GL.
    It has both door mirrors, although the passenger mirror is on the floorboard.
    Orange tach cluster. New to me as I've only had white ones.
    What I call the "fancy" interior. Cloth door panels that match the seats.

Story:
    Saw an add on craigslist for a fairly cheap festiva. Emailed them my number and they called back fairly quickly. This was his daily driver until it popped a head gasket a year ago. Instead of fixing it, he bought another festiva and starting taking the good parts off this one to put on his new one. Luckly he did not get to far. Went and looked at it in the dark without a flashlight (not smart). Walked around the car, ran my hands on the rockers and told him I would take it. Told him I would be back the next day to pick it up.
    Next day I grab a tow dolly and head over. I got a little surprise when I got there. As seen in the attached pictures, there is no passenger rear drum on the axle beam. The car was jacked up and the wheel was put back in place to look like it was mounted. In the dark, I did not notice that there were no lugs in the wheel ( hence a flashlight would have been nice). The guy I bought the car from was not there and his father came out. I asked the father if he had the drum. Well lets just say the father decided to let off a little steam. The car is nosed up into the side of a large/sharp incline that was dug out of the side of a mountain.
    I usually take a bunch of tools with me, I only took and 1/2 inch ratchet with a 14mm deep socket, a tow rope, and a air pump.
    Here's where the fun begins.
    We used a second screw jack that the father had brought us. We jacked the back of the car completely off the ground. We then removed the driver side rear tire. I unhooked the tow dolly and pushed it up and under the rear beam. I then pushed the tongue of the dolly down and lifted the festiva off the jacks. While holding the tow dolly we hooked it back up to the truck.
    The son (guy I bought the car from) has now shown up. Both him and his father decided to have a nice loud bitch fest at each other and walk away for awhile. When they came back, the helped lift the rear of the festiva and pull it all the way onto the dolly. We chain it down, tie it down, and put air in the front tires. We getting ready to go and the son gives me a $20 back for the troubles and apologized for the missing drum. He had forgotten that he removed it when he parked the car a year ago.
    So I towed the festiva backwards for 60+ miles and had no issues.
    Enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Files
    Whoa, that was fun!

Put on a wheel, buff and miracle wax, green tape in the groove on the bumper, take pictures, then enter it in the Festiva of the month contest.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 08-22-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Nice. Looks like you have a 90 L plus.
      '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
      '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
      '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
      '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
      '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
      '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
      '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

L plus?
        THanks