Setting manual valve adjusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting manual valve adjusters

Just got my gen2 B6 head from Matt D. He had to use gen1 valve train due (I think) to the cam profile. My question is: what should I set these valves to when adjusting cold? The Haynes manual says .012" warm for both intake/exhaust. So what cold adjustment would give you close to this warm-adjustment spec? Do I need to adjust them all to .010" cold to get it to expand to .012" hot?

In some older cars, the spec is .010" intake and .012" exhaust, due to the exhaust valve getting hotter than the intake. Your comments please. I will also call Matt on Monday to discuss this.
    Last edited by TominMO; 08-29-2015, 11:45 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf-tech-tips/mech-lift.pdf
    Last edited by sketchman; 08-29-2015, 11:52 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I wouldn't use pushrod system generalities . Set it to spec and adjust it again when you change out the break-in oil. You will not possibly see those kind of changes in a overhead cam engine like that crane graph shows.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I'll just set it to spec then. Worst case is that it's a little loose; no damage resulting. Without feedback, I would be trying to decide between spec .012 and no tighter than .010. But I'll talk to Matt too. Thanks.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I've used that sheet for cold adjust on a Festiva before. It works.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

standard amount of adjusting valves for b3 engine is 0.162" (i know from kia prides engine disassembly guide) for both intake/exhaust,you have setten valves spacing too tight

Comment

You sure that's not metric? That's a TON of space in our stone-age system.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

it is 0.3 millimeters or 0.3 * 0.03937"=0.117" ,yeah you are right.

Comment

0.0117 of course!

Comment

If you need to hedge your bet, set int. to .012" and exh. to .015", readjust to cam manufactures specs warm engine after two weeks driving, But Matt will know what the specs are for that cam. Please post his answer as I am curious!
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                      If you need to hedge your bet, set int. to .012" and exh. to .015", readjust to cam manufactures specs warm engine after two weeks driving, But Matt will know what the specs are for that cam. Please post his answer as I am curious!
                      Will do, and the cam profile too if that is not a proprietary secret.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Will do, and the cam profile too if that is not a proprietary secret.
                        Thank You!
                        It may be proprietary, I know how that can go! My grinder worked up a profile so exactly what we needed for the B6 DOHC, that Charlie will be trying a set. But even I, who paid for the development, don't have access to the specs!
                        No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                        X