Where are all the Festivas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the Festivas?

In the past three weeks we have travelled to Southern Alberta, across Saskatchewan twice, well into Manitoba and into central British Columbia with a total distance driven of close to 5000km/3000 miles. More than half of that was in our own B6 Festiva but over all that time and distance we didn't see another Festiva!!! We did spot one Aspire though.

Festivas are also showing up much less often at the wreckers and I don't see them for sale nearly as often as I did even a year ago.

Something tells me it's time to start hoarding Festivas and parts.... OK, I admit it, I started a long time ago but maybe it should be more deliberate and not just for my own sake but for other enthusiasts as well.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I don't think I have seen one other than my Son's in the Chicago suburbs but I know there are a few members that have them. They really are quite rare in the northern regions. People junk them and the yard will most like just scrap them for metal because of their age.

Comment

They are showing up a lot less at wreckers here in edmonton too, and im seeing less on the road as well just in the last 8 years i have had one. 4 years ago you could usually count on having 3 festivas at pick and pull, now its usually just one with month or 3 long stretches with none...
      I have started hoarding parts...
      They do rust out up here, but i think there are getting a lot less mechanically inclined people who are willing to work on a cheap car. People arent bothering to learn how to fix stuff unless its very valuable and even then a lot of people still are quite happy to pay through the nose for someone else to do simple stuff.
      Also i think a lot more people are buying into the 'bigger is safer' lie that is purported everywhere and are scared to drive them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't see them in the yards here, but there are quite a few on the road. We probably see another festy at least once a day. There is an older, all grey hair, gentleman that we see almost everyday driving a stock blue one. There is a person in our neighborhood that drives a red one that has the fancy stock wheels and color rear matching spoiler. But not sure he is nice. He never waves back. I see Shadetree from time to time as well.
        Back home in OR, I used to see them all the time as well. My sister actually sent me a picture of a beautiful white one cruising down HWY26 the other day.
        Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

After years of not knowing another Festy owner in my city of 100k+ , a couple of weeks back I met 3 in an eight day period. I still never see one being driven around.
          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
          "Wenona"-89L parts car
          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Parts are harder to come by- and the cars rust out, wear out and suffer crashes, with larger motors and guys driving them too fast.

And if you haven't figured it out- the car companies don't want your old car on the road forever- they want to sell more product- keep the costs of motoring high high higer to stimulate constant labor, and freeze everyone homeless in the gutter to that end. That's what they went to college to learn!

AND they don't want the MICRO cars especially- those THEY pulled off the market when the Gulf Wars heated up again at the turn of the millennia.
            Festivas and Metros have stood with a defiant Cult popularity, while they've pushed larger, more powerful cars that don't get as good mileage and widen the gao between fossils and hybrid alternatives

even as evidence of man made global Warming just grows and grows with each passing year.
            Last edited by harpon; 09-13-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I was surprised to see quite a few for sale this summer.Saw one go by my cottage last weekend with a couch tied down to the top of it.lol

Comment

Working...
              X