Cleaning Head and Block before gasket repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Head and Block before gasket repair

I'm doing a head gasket repair this weekend and need to get all the old gasket material off of the block and head. What is the best way to clean the mating surfaces before I put the new gasket in?
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

I used a little bottle of gasket remover spray and lots of scrapping with a razor blade. It don't have to be sparkling clean either, that is what I kept trying to get. Just make sure there are no raised areas to the touch. Also, be careful not to gouge into the aluminum, keep the blade at a good angle and just take your time and do it right. Just how I did it but I have only done it once. Others on here will give you better and more tips as some have done this more than a few times. Good luck.

Comment

I've done 2 gaskets on 2 different cars in the last 2 weeks. Razor blade and some fine sand paper. Use a little purple power on the Pistons. After cleaning both surfaces I usually spray it with a fast drying chemical like brake cleaner. Then put it back together.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Working...
      X