88 Festa Distributor wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 Festa Distributor wiring?

Hello Ftiva nation, does anybody have an idea what wires go to where with the 88 distributor? I see the module is marked with "A" , "B" and "C". I do see a positive mark (+) so I have to assume that is hot and goes to the (+) of the coil. The other two terminals I am not sure of where they go. Any suggestions? Thanks, "G".

I believe there are ring terminals on the positive side of the coil. The giveaway is the protective boot. There is a double spade on the negative side of the coil.

Ring terminals and spade terminals.

Good luck.

Comment

I am using an aftermarket coil so I need to know what wires go to where on the module as well as the coil! I have a new 88 carb distributor and module so there is no existing harness to go off of. There are 3 different terminals on the module and I don't know where they are wired to. "G".

Comment

I also installed a used aftermarket ignition coil from eBay.
        I just transferred the double spade from the stock coil to the aftermarket coil and reconnected the wires. The most impoertant thing you absolutely nust do, is to install a ballast resistor so that you don't fry the ignition module inside the distributor. Ask me how I know!
        I just followed figure 2 in the instructions.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 09-30-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

That's the problem, I'm putting an 88 carb distributor in a 90 FI. The wiring harness is different for the coils. I've converted over to the Weber carb but I need to switch the distributors. There are 3 terminals on the carb distributor module, marked "A", "B" and "C". I think the "B" is also marked "+" so I assumed it is hot and goes to the "+" of the coil. I am sure either "A" or "C" goes to the (-) side of the coil but I'm not sure of which one. Lets assume its "C" that is (-), then what is the other terminal (A) for? Need help! Thanks Kozak. G.

Comment

Here is a pic of the factory carb distributor wiring.
            The white/black wire goes to the positive coil terminal.
            One of the other two terminals goes to the barometric sensor.
            The other one goes to the negative coil terminal.

Notice the older distributors did not have dual vacuum advance or barometric altitude compensation. Life was very simple then.

In keeping with ancient traditions, I threw out my computer and barometric sensor.
            I'd have to pop my distributor cap off to see which wire I threw out.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 10-02-2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks again Kozak, I think I can run it down now with the help of your pics and wiring schematic and your vast knowledge of ancient traditions (LOL). Thanks Mucho!!!!!! PS, Your two carb setup is just way cool!
              Last edited by cmongfe; 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

"A" is for the barometric pressure (altitude compensation).
                "B" is for the positive.
                "C" is for the negative (uninsulated flag terminal).

The reason I disconnected "A" is because I don't normally drive up and down mountains very often. My timing is set for the Great Lakes. If I do decide to go to Denver and then to Rocky Mountain National Park again, I will simply bring along my wrench and advance my timing slightly.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 10-08-2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X