Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed

I've been thinking about doing some rubberized undercoating on my 91 to keep the rust away, and I've been looking at several products. My brother recommended POR15, which, from what I have heard, is a great product. That being said, its $20 a can, and I'm not quite keen on spending that much.

I've found this 3M undercoating for less than half of that price.

What have you done for undercoating and are there any products you specifically recommend? I'd prefer something with some sound deadening included in the formula.

Also, have you had any experience with rust converter? Sounds cool, but does it work?
    Last edited by TWFodor; 10-08-2015, 08:06 AM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Rustoleum sells Rust Reformer, basically the same thing. I clean the area, shoot that on, and then cover it with spray-on rubber/undercoating. I would use the Rust Reformer all over as a primer, and then use the undercoating.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I used the 3m stuff on mine and number of other things it works great. Same note rustoleum puts out great products to.
      1990 Red Festiva STOCK "pregnant roller skate"
      1989 Yellow Festiva BP swap "Freebird"
      2007 Ford F150 "black sunshine" full exhaust with x-pipe. K&N intake. Headman Headers.
      2001 Honda accord SOLD lots of goodies done suicide doors lowered 20 inch rims
      2005 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel "swamprat" 4 inch lift, 4 inch mbrp exhaust, egr delete, glowshift pillar gauges.
      1994 Ford F150 5.0 Completely stock.

Comment

How many cans should I plan on getting of each?
        1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

Originally posted by TWFodor View Post
          How many cans should I plan on getting of each?
          I'd start with three or four, and see if you run out. Then you can estimate how many more you would need, if any.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I hate under coating. Makes a place to trap water and rust . I've worked on many rusty zbarted vehicles . I say inside of your panels this is a replacement for factory coating or if your cheap used oil and something to thin it to spray it. That rust prevention works well and you can even get a 3 foot wond for it and run down frame rails and such.

Comment

I heard the rubber stuff rots the metal after a while, because it keeps the moisture in. I had my festy polymer coated underneath. Love it.

Comment

Have you checked out Eastwood in alsip? They have lots of different methods and can get you headed in the right direction. Eastwood also offers there own branded products which can be cheaper then the name brands. Por15 at a quick glance looks promising but when you read the directions there is actually a lot of prep work you need to do to ensure the product works as its suppose to. They want you to use marine cleaner and a few other things if I recall prior to applying.

Comment

FLUID FILMŪ is Eureka’s own unique lanolin-based brand of corrosion preventive and lubricant, used worldwide in a multitude of industries and applications.

Used to only be able to buy it at John Deere farm tractor dealerships. Now even Autozone has is in the spray can.
                  Last edited by lessersivad; 10-08-2015, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X