Stick shift and knee replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick shift and knee replacement...

It looks like I'm going to need knee replacement surgery (at age 71) and the Doc says it would be best if I gave up driving stick shift. I don't want to do that because I've always driven a stick, and it really part of my "automotive identity." I've always preferred a stick. Besides, I've got two Festivas, two SAABS, a Morris Minor, and a Honda EX-L V-6 that are all stick shift.
    Has anybody on this forum had knee replacement or heard anything relating to that surgery and driving a stick??

I know one guy, who's tough as nails, who has really bad arthritis that still drives stick after both knee replacements. His fingers are also locked in a contorted position and he can only move them by the first joint, where they connect to the hands. He says he feels no pain from it. But my great grandma was that way too. She fell and broke her hip, and the doctors didn't even consider it because she didn't seem to have enough pain.

So, IMO it's up to what you can stand I guess.
    Last edited by sketchman; 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Onree, you have seen the Festiva that I drive, the wife has had both knees replaced and has no problem driving our stick cars, good luck friend, when you do get it replaced, do the rehab to the best of your ability, yes it will hurt but the pain will go away, just remember how much you like driving your stick cars and much it would hurt to see someone else driving your cars.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
      X