Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running an oil pressure gauge while retaining the oil light in the dash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running an oil pressure gauge while retaining the oil light in the dash.

I'm going to be installing an electric VDO oil pressure gauge in the project car while retaining the low oil pressure light. Is there a second spot where the sensor for the gauge can be screwed in or will I have to make up a 'T' fitting for both the gauge and light sensors?

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

I believe there is a fitting on the oil pump you could take out but i think you want the sensors at or near the oil filter right? I am not sure if there is a place after the filter but what i did on my civic was install this sandwich adapter. I dont know if it will work on your engine but it allowed me to run a mechanical oil pressure guage, stock dummy light sensor, an oil temperature guage and have a slightly larger oil filter. The oil temp guage on a built up car is noce because it lets you know when your turbo is starting to cook the oil and it tells you when your oil is warm enough to really start driving the car hard. Otherwise your just guessin and you dont want to push an engine too hard on cold oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mechanical oil pressure gauges jave a Bourdon movement + 270 degree sweep. They are more accurate than electrical gauges. I would only recommend plumbing them with AN teflon lined braided hose. Electrical gauges are much easier to install.
      Good luck with your tee.
      Is the block tapped for metric pipe thread?
      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-02-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Running an oil pressure gauge while retaining the oil light in the dash.

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        Mechanical oil pressure gauges jave a Bourdon movement + 270 degree sweep. They are more accurate than electrical gauges. I would only recommend plumbing them with AN teflon lined braided hose. Electrical gauges are much easier to install.
        Good luck with your tee.
        Is the block tapped for metric pipe thread?
        Where do you buy that line from? Closest i can find is 1/8 ID but the OD is bigger so it wouldn't fit on an oil pressure gauge. I currently use copper line, works quite well as long as you coil it under the dash and dont let the line vibrate on anything. Im going to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my festiva again (i robbed it for another car a few years ago) and this line sounds interesting.
        I prefer quality mechanical gauges myself, i could actually see on my gauge when the bypass valve in my oil filter was opening and closing then i started it in below -35c

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
        I'm going to be installing an electric VDO oil pressure gauge in the project car while retaining the low oil pressure light. Is there a second spot where the sensor for the gauge can be screwed in or will I have to make up a 'T' fitting for both the gauge and light sensors?

Thanks
        So, did you decide what to do? Did you find another port? Will a sandwich adapter work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by ryanprins13; 11-11-2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I run a T at the oil send location, Ian. You could possibly use the outlet from the top left side of the oil pump as someone suggested above, but I don;t know the flow path and if it would measure the same value.
          It is awkward to get the T in place without interfering with the bracket for the intake manifold but it can be done.
          Mopac sells a Autopower BPT to NPT brass fitting that you can screw into the block and then mate to standard pipe thread fitting to build your T. The block uses british pipe thread fittings.
          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

Working...
          X