carb in the winter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb in the winter question

carbs all seem to have their individual tendencies, i'm going to be buying a festiva shortly, just waiting for the right opportunity. i've come across a nice carbed unit(89), how are they in cold weather? starting/efficiency/consistency?? i was surprised that the 4spd carbed units get about the same mpg as the 5spd EFI units. In short, would a carbed vehicle be worth it in cold winters(michigan), or should i wait for an EFI vehicle? thanks.

ssooo, new to the forums, not new to the automotive world. fresh out of highschool(like 10 years back now) i started working as an auto mechanic(kept doing that for a couple years). anywho, i mostly got into the auto world post carburetion, however my first vehicle was a single barrel carb wrangler, it was pretty horrible to try and start..(pretty much always started, but, maybe 30 minutes of effort). My motorcycle does pretty well in the cold after proper jetting, so i'm not completely unfamiliar but, not just nearly as knowledgeable as i am with EFI. looking to actually make a move on a purchase tomorrow. thanks guys.
    Last edited by Timsubcompact; 11-14-2015, 12:31 PM.

Carbs should be fine; I'd add some gas dryer with every tankful in the cold months.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

awesome thanks.

i wonder about the fuel thing however. i'm sure there are additives in modern fuel that serve that end, also most have some ethanol in them. even if ethanol isn't as efficient as something like isopropyl(of coarse pure iso, not water dilu

Comment

I've been driving an 89 for years and never add gas drier, cover the vents on dash with clear tape remove in spring.

Comment

Originally posted by dhnorris View Post
          cover the vents on dash with clear tape remove in spring.
          hmm.. i was thinking about various outcomes, but, whats your findings about covering the vents?

Comment

cold air blows in

Comment

I cover the pass. side of the grill and bumper opening all year round. Helps keep the engine bay clean too.

For winter I also cover the driver side grill and bumper slot, and maybe even block the rad itself with cardboard if it gets cold enough. Or I might leave the driver side grill open, and cover most of the rad w/cardboard. A thermostat rated 190-195 is a must of course, in areas where it gets cold.
              Last edited by TominMO; 11-15-2015, 07:37 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
              X