Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After five years, I'm back with a new Festiva!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After five years, I'm back with a new Festiva!

Many moons ago, when I was single and really didn't give a rats ass about trying to impress anyone, I set out to find the worst/funniest winter beater so I could take my turbo'd Nissan 240 off the road.

Searching the local classifieds turned up lots of odd, terrible vehicles, but I fell in love with an automatic 1990 Ford Festiva that had been living beside a chicken barn for three years, and boy did it show/smell like it.

It doubled as a pickup truck on many occasions

Eventually I got tired of the white/rust/bondo, and bought ten cans of rocker guard

Anyways, I drove this thing for a year and a half until it succumbed to frame rust, and I sold it to a friend for $200, who patched up the body, drove it for a couple months then sold it. It was a terribly crappy car, but It was dead reliable and I've missed it since...

Now, fast forward to 2015. I now own a house with a ten car shop and share it with a lovely woman who is even more into cars than I am. After our anniversary weekend in Toronto, we returned home. I was told there would be a surprise for me at home, as it had arrived in the mail. As soon as we arrived, I was told to cover my eyes and was lead into the shop, where this was waiting, licensed, insured and ready to drive!

To say I was blown away was an understatement! Now I know not many people would be excited to receive an '89 Festiva, but I certainly was. The car came with quite the story. Purchased by an employee of a Ford dealership on May 1st, 1990 (my birthday is May 1st), it is a one owner car. Four speed, under coated every year, never winter driven. Aside from a bunch of dents and some very minor surface rust, it is rust free, quite rare for these.

The lady who owned it put 235,000km on it in 23years, at which point she purchased a car with air conditioning and put the Festiva into storage for her granddaughter, who was promised the car at a young age. 2015 was the year her granddaughter received her drivers license, but her mother deemed the car too unsafe and would not allow her to have the car. Heartbroken, the grandparents put the car up for sale. This is where my girlfriend comes in. A friend found the car on kijiji back in October and told her about it. She contacted the sellers and arranged to look at it. Apparently they were getting offers for double their asking price and from as far away as Boston, but after hearing my story and the fact that we were close enough for them to still see the car, they decided to sell to my girlfriend and not accept the higher offers.

Here's some pics after its first wash

Now for the future. The plan is to
    Leave the body bone stock. It's going to be going in for a full body dent removal/surface rust repair/possible paint in the spring. I am undecided on swapping the engine to a Mazda B6t 1.6L turbo, a naturally aspirated Mazda DOHC 1.8L BP engine, or leave it stock. 13" Wheels/coil overs/suspension bushings are on the short list. The plan is to create a zippy stock looking car that's fun to throw around in the twisties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1990 Flat black Festiva...Mostly stock...

Awesome. Great Find! Time to put a ring on her finger I think...
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Wow! What an awesome anniversary gift!
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Haha wow man, great story. Congrats on the tiva. Sounds like you got some plans alright. Keep us updated.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
        sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

Amazing. The GF's a keeper for sure! B6D or B6T gets my vote.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

She could have at least bought you a turbo'd festy or bp. I mean come on does she even like you.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Wow!
              I would say drive it stock for a while, then do some more research on the different engines, decide which swap you wanna do then spend some time reading the builds on here to decide what brands of stuff you want to buy and what you all want to include with the swap. Its more fun to get used to a car, do a swap/upgrade and feel the huge difference also i like doing things once/right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                Wow!
                I would say drive it stock for a while, then do some more research on the different engines, decide which swap you wanna do then spend some time reading the builds on here to decide what brands of stuff you want to buy and what you all want to include with the swap. Its more fun to get used to a car, do a swap/upgrade and feel the huge difference also i like doing things once/right the first time.
                Amen.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Use the Festiva for the wedding, forget the limo and save yourself some bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
                    Why not a Festiva limo?
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I will pop over after work in Missisauga and take it for an unaccompanied test drive. I will let you know definitively if that old car is safe to drive or not. Until then, I would strongly recommend that you do not drive it until it has been professionally tested. What time do you normally get home?
                      Last edited by bravekozak; 11-18-2015, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
                        I used mine for our roadtrip honeymoon, it was fun.
                        Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                        Why not a Festiva limo?
                        Lol, yes! Talk to the dawgstrip guys.

Comment

Awesome story.Thanks for sharing that and the pics of your new beauty.

Comment

Cool

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X