Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just mine or do a lot of festivas hate it when it rains all day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just mine or do a lot of festivas hate it when it rains all day?

I have newer plugs and wires, about 1 year old dist. cap but my festiva still don't like it when it rains all day. Has a hard time starting and sometimes struggles for awhile until she warms up.

I had the same thing in my 91 gmc yesterday.

Ground and ground and ground on that starter. Not a pop. Opened hood, it looked like someone poured water on the block. Totally drenched with sweat.

Took everything high voltage related apart, a spurt of rd90,inside and out kn/on everything, reassembled, eventually started. All 8 plugs wetter then wet. After all 8 dried. Key off. Key on, bump starter, instant fire.

No. You're not crazy. High voltage hates moisture. I don't care how good your ignition components are.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jason_; 11-28-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Huh, ive never had that. Only issues are when i pressurewash the motor. Then it starts right away but only runs on 3 cylinders for a mile or 2. Then its fine.
      It rains enough here but doesnt get real humid, that could be the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 91 used to sputter in the rain sometimes. My 99 E350 does the same.
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

digs, you always pray for it to start!
          LOL

Cheap wires are often the issue, get silicone ones if your up for the price.
          Also, if the primary from the coil to the distributor is even slightly degraded you will have this issue.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
            digs, you always pray for it to start!
            LOL

Cheap wires are often the issue, get silicone ones if your up for the price.
            Also, if the primary from the coil to the distributor is even slightly degraded you will have this issue.
            Amen. Lol Maybe I bought some cheap wires. Will spraying them down with WD-40 help at all?

Comment

Di-electric grease may help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Caps are usually the issue. Big hollow empty cavity. Next is the boot where is surrounded by the head, a giant ground.

Stuff I use called rd90 is basically wd40. Says right on the can it'll drive out moisture, but won't conduct. Made from a company called one way in Kalamazoo mi

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
                Last edited by jason_; 11-28-2015, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Mine did it alot when cold and damp weather arrived. It was plug and wire related. Did both so not sure if one or both was the culprit. Last winter it got parked headlong into a cold driving rain. I had a no start condition. Pulled the cap. Scraped the chalky white scabs of corrosion off the terminals and then they looked like nubs. New cap & rotor and 5 mins later. Immediate start.
                  I got tired of the crappy aluminum terminals caps. Thats all I could find locally. I hunted on ebay and found a cap with copper terminals. BWD I believe was the brand. Some listing pictures are genaric so I asked the sellers. Worth it to me as I believe they last alot longer. From the box it looked to be old stock. I dont know if they even make copper any more for our cars. I stocked up on a few.
                  '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
                  '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
                  '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
                  '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
                  '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
                  '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                  '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Originally posted by David88 View Post
                    Mine did it alot when cold and damp weather arrived. It was plug and wire related.
                    yep, it is usually my distant early warning for a tune up
                    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Never had any Festiva/Aspire wet running probs- that's 180K or so miles. I did have some missing out problems on the 88 Festiva once I couldn't figure out- strange little ticking noises from the motor- when I looked under the hood in the dark I could see little arcs ticking between the plug wires- taping the wires cured it until I could get another set.

Drove several VW Rabbits back in the 70's and 80's and they had a problem with water getting under the distributor cap, but only in very heavy deluge really.
                      A couple of times out n the autobahn it started running rough during really heavy rain, or after washing- had to dry the inside of the cap

And Eddie Rabbit sang "I love a rainy night"
                      "I Love a Rainy Night" is from the album Horizon, released 1980.Edward Thomas "Eddie" Rabbitt (November 27, 1941 -- May 7, 1998) was an American singer-songw...
                      Last edited by harpon; 11-29-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

My old Prelude had the no start condition in humidity or rain. Replaced dizzy cap & gasket, worked swell with no problems.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk
                        sigpic Hold up, I'm headed to the moon cus the world is screwed up

Comment

Working...
                        X