1990 Ford Festiva 1.3L Hesitating When Giving Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Ford Festiva 1.3L Hesitating When Giving Gas

Hey guys, I just purchased a 1990 Ford Festiva the other day and I'm running into some weird issues. First off the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay went out so I replaced it and now it is working like it should.. So I thought. The next day I noticed some really bad hesitation. When I give the car a little bit of gas it's OK but when I hit the pedal to the floor it hesitates and sometimes doesn't get any gas at all. It will go but I don't have any power and it rocks the car back and forth like I'm letting off the clutch too soon or something haha. But anyway, like I said, I've changed the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay. Today I put in new spark plugs, wires and I'm going to put a new fuel filter in tomorrow. Any ideas? I also tested the throttle position sensor and it's not that..I'm clueless. Thanks!

Thinking fuel filter is clogged. Not a bad ideal to change the fuel hoses also. Seafoam in the gas tank also.

Comment

Kinda same issues with my 93, hopefully it's fuel filter for you, but that didn't help mine.
      Originally posted by bhearts
      What is one man's trash is a festiva owners upgrade. Lol

Comment

Hey thanks for the quick response! I also just changed the distributor cap and coil for the heck of it but still no luck. I'm going to try the fuel filter in the morning to see what happens. I did put some seafoam and treatment in the gas tank already though. I still haven't noticed a difference yet. The fuel hoses could be an issue though. It's just weird how this issue didn't start until the fuel pump was changed. Could it be that the sock on the new fuel pump isn't the same fit causing this issue?

Comment

Repair forum topic maybe ?
          sigpic
          The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
          https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
          Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Yeah my bad haha

Comment

Also, random question. Where exactly is the fuel filter located on the 1990 Ford Festiva L 1.3L? To me it looks like it is under the hood near the bottom located on the driver's side. But I could be wrong. Just want to make sure I have a battle plan tomorrow haha

Comment

that's it ! inlet goes down, outlet to rail

Comment

So I was right about something for once? Haha

Comment

Sounds like timing.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Comment

It very well could be. Is it easy to fix on these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaegredoth View Post
                        It very well could be. Is it easy to fix on these cars?
                        Ignition timing is relatively easy, loosen two 12mm bolts on distributor and a timing light is all you need.

But this is likely cam timing, which means water pump pulley, crank pully and timing cover needs to come off, its the same procedure as replacing timing belt so you may aswell replace timing belt, tensioner, front main seal, water pump and cam seal as future proofing insurance.

Although if you rotate motor to indicated TDC, you can loosen the top of the timing cover and bend it down (carefully) you can make sure that the cam marks also indicate TDC which would mean that you timing belt didn't skip a tooth but it doesn't eliminate the possibility of a cam timing issue, there is still a chance that either the cam alignment pin is bent in the cam pulley or that the key in the crank pulley has sheared.

Now if you have a wooden dowel you can remove #1 spark plug (closest to pulleys and belts) and insert into hole and while rotating crank and guiding the dowel you can measure true TDC and make sure it aligns with the TDC marks on the crank pulley, this would indicate that the key in the crank is not sheared

Then it's just the cam alignment pin you need to worry about, which hopefully can be bent back, if not you may have to get a new cam or figure out another way to index the cam pulley

Festiva cam timing article:
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/repair_da...aft_timing.htm

Finding true TDC thread:
                        http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2164588
                        Last edited by Kenkyona; 12-06-2015, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Hey guys I thought I would give you an update on my Festiva issue. Turns out that the sock/screen/filter on the fuel pump was never changed after the new fuel pump was installed. That's what was causing the issue of my hesitation.

Comment

Working...
                          X