Need help and ideas on programmable ecus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help and ideas on programmable ecus

I have heard of megasquirt and people using other programmable ecus. I was wondering how complex is that and how hard is it to set up something like megasquirt on a festiva. Figured it would be a good step in the direction of turbocharging miogi.
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

This is a hard question. What are you trying to accomplish? If you are going turbo you can use the stock Ecu all day with a fmu and low boost. The car will act and drive like it does normally except it will have boost.
    The reason we are using aftermarket ecu's is to control the timing and fuel going into the engine. Really only needed for anything above 12 psi depending on the setup. Then you will need more fuel than the stock Ecu can give the engine without going lean. The more boost the more timing you can run. There's a lot to the tuning of the Ecu but installing a plug and play is a breeze. It plugs into the factory location. You can also tune for fuel economy on a stock setup so that's what makes it cool. If you ever need to change the engine the Ecu will work with anything with your harness.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

So if what size turbo would be a good one for running low boost? How do I know if I am running too lean if I was to turbo my car. Also these cars have a vaf so wouldn't that just accommodate for the larger amount of air flowing through it as long as if it doesn't exceed the ability of the fuel system?

Sent from my Z936L using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll want a wideband air/fuel guage first. That will allow you to monitor your air/fuel ratios (rich or lean).
        On a B8 you have a lot of choices of turbo. A good t3 from an old saab 900 or 9000 will be cheap, rebuild able and provide a good window of operation for your engine. The flange is common as well. Look for a mid 80's saab turbo at the junk yard. Check the shaft for excessive play. You can usually buy them for 50-100 bucks from a junk yard.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

So with my current setup I can bolt a turbo on with a wideband and as long as I am not running lean I would be fine? I thought there was so much more to running a turbo setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Meepersly View Post
            So with my current setup I can bolt a turbo on with a wideband and as long as I am not running lean I would be fine? I thought there was so much more to running a turbo setup.

You will run lean. like they said, you need an fmu as well for it to be worthwhile. Setting up the piping and blow off valve, wastegate, fmu, gauges, oil piping and maybe an intercooler isn't the hardest, but takes time your first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I am already running rich very rich enough to get 20mpg

Comment

Well, if your getting 20mpg, you may as well be making 300hp. Lol.
                Seriously though, adding boost to a tuning problem is not a good plan. You may get lucky, but chances are you'll find a lean spot in that tune at the worst possible time and find chunks of piston in your oil pan.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

That would be bad I see. I was planning on running the wideband and seeing if it is constant

Comment

So what type of fmu would be recommended? If I do boost this car what would be a safe psi to run it at?

Comment

IIRC Eurotiva said don't expect to go over 10psi on an FMU. And, again IIRC, he said you should probably run 2 fuel pumps with that. Pressures can get VERY high with an FMU. I would PM him.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

YES THAT IS TRUE GREG IS VERY HELPFUL.

He recommended you go with a 6:1 fmu. as for brand, unless you are spending good money on one, which completely defeats the purpose of budget fuel management, that are all pretty sketchy, reliability wise. Just check on craigslist and get one that is cheap. as for using an fmu for more than 10lbs of boost, its really a matter of if it fails, how bad it is going to fail. also at that pressure your fuel system is under some serious pressure. 10psi being an extra 60lbs of pressure in your fuel line.

Dont run more than 10 lbs on stock injectors. They cannot support more than 10psi worth of fuel flow. if you want more boost, you need to go with rx7 injectors, 550 iirc.

You really cant run boost on the stock fuel pump, I mean i have not tried, but it someting about the amount of pressure that the pump can support as well as the volume of fuel that it physically pumps. Festiva Stock fuel pump is like 85? lph and will not support over like 90? psi. probably less. Im not really sure on the exact numbers other than they are not sufficient. I went with a walbro 255lph. pretty standared hpfp. you could keep you stock fuel pump and run the walbro as an additional pump.

turbo choice, I would go with something small, or something you can get a hold of easily. tdo4 or ko3 are pretty common, tiny turbos, good for quick spool. Im not 100% on the turbo choice stuff, but i do know that these smaller turbos are getting pushed pretty hard at 15lbs, but 15lbs is making some good power.

im running 9lbs of boost on a 10:1 fmu. Idk if i actually have 9lbs, as I have no boost gauge, its just what the internet said the stock setting on my wastegate is. I have no wideband, but the car smells rich. LOL
                        Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
                        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Lol well as my father always said better rich than lean

Comment

Working...
                          X