Transmission Concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Concern

Not exactly sure if this is the correct forum, I apologize in advance if it is not.

Recently picked up a '91 with a blown motor (B3) and 5 speed. P/O started disassembly to build a DD. In the process of cleaning everything I can before I decide on what engine to put in. This will be my DD.

Started cleaning the grime off the stock tranny and it looks like the whole bellhousing and gearbox are covered in what i would describe as stress fractures. Doesn't appear that they penetrate all the way through to the inside, from what i can see. My question is, are these casting marks from the manufacture process or something that I should be worried about and just swap the tranny while its out. Don't want to waste a bunch of time /effort/ misc parts on a trash part.

I'm going to try and upload some pictures to show what I'm talking about.
    Attached Files
    2011 Kia Forte Koup
    2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
    1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
    1988 Festiva L 4 speed

I looked at the 3 I own with 5 speeds.Not clean enough to see much.May have been a bad day at the manufacturing plant lol.I would use it just to see if it was good.Maybe some aluminum jb weld to fill stress cracks?

Comment

Huh, ive never looked that close at mine and its covered in grease and oil right now. I would suggest jut putting it togeather and driving it like that. If your not racing it it shouldn't crack further IF those are actually stress cracks. In my limited experience ive never seen cast aluminum stress crack and not break all the way. I would think its a manufacturing thing. You could try jb weld if you like, but i would just use it and see if it works. There may be something else wrong with this car and it would be a shame to put more money into it than you need to. I think it will be fine but if it does break its not that hard to replace later, doesn't take very long either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's totally normal. From being cast. I've had several trans apart. They all have those marks. Run it.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Outstanding, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks for the help, as always.
          2011 Kia Forte Koup
          2007 Sea-Pro 196 CC with Mercury Verado 150hp
          1993 Ford Bronco 351/E4OD
          1988 Festiva L 4 speed

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
            That's totally normal. From being cast. I've had several trans apart. They all have those marks. Run it.
            I agree. I have had many that looked like that also.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
            X