To Buy or Not to buy/Beginners help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Buy or Not to buy/Beginners help

Found a 1993 Festiva 5 speed for sale with 136000 miles on it for $1000. I love the look of it, always have had a special place in my heart for early 90's fords. I guess my question is how practical is it for commuting on a highway that has a speed limit of 65mph? Can the 1.3 liter handle this day in and day out? Also, are there any options to install a cruise control? I keep going back and forth whether or not to just buy it or not, sometimes i'll just daydream about driving it. I'm just about to graduate college and I got offered a job in Bismarck ND. How do festivas perform in a hilly environment? Thanks for any input - Jayson

My B3 handled 75-80 mph on the freeway with no issues. Hills were no problem either. As long as the motors in good condition, you should get 300K plus out of it. Just keep your oil changed and maintenance performed you should be ok. I love driving mine in the mountains.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I have a stock 93 and love driving it on hills. Use 4th and 3rd gear to keep your speed at the speed limit and you still get 50mpg, lol. You can crest any hill at 60mph in 3rd gear. I have 435,000km on mine, have never driven it easy and it runs great still. I like how they handle on the freeway at 60mph. The only thing is they get knocked around a bit by strong gusty winds or semis but thats with any small hatchback, even new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would say just buy it. I would. But $750 would be a better price.
        Is the car rusty? If there is rust out in front of the rear wheels? If so, ask us about it before buying.

Are you willing to make repairs yourself? These cars are very dependable and easy/cheap to work on. But they will need repairs and upkeep which you will have to do yourself.

I drive 63 miles a day. Mixed roads including interstate. The car will do 65 mph easily. At was designed to crusie at 55 mph. I normaly crusie at 55 to 60. But I baby my cars.

If you dont mind doing the above, the festiva will be the funist car you ever own.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Comment

This is by far the most dependable car i or any of my family has ever owned. Its also by far the most enjoyable to drive and maintain. I have put over 200,000km on mine since i bought it.

Comment

I have 2 daily drivers one of which is a 93 with stock 1.3 with a 5 speed. The engine has 242,000+ miles on it. I commute 35 miles/day both interstate @ 75 mph and city driving. I average 38 mpg. When I travel to Seattle and go over the mountains I have to down shift into 4th to keep up speed. Maybe someday a B6, maybe not.

If the car is in good shape I would not hesitate buying it.

Comment

the owner was asking $1200 for it but he said the lowest he'd take is $1000. As far as rust goes, there's a little bit of rust in front of the rear wheels according to the owner, although it is not noticeable in any photos I have seen. Thanks for the replies .It has the standard 12" tires, 2 tires are brand new, and 2 tires are okay. Previous owner used it as a daily driver. Doesn't burn any oil according to the owner. Clutch is good.

As far as repairs go, what are typical things to look for on this year and mileage? How often do clutches last? I have no problem making repairs myself if they're doable in a parking lot.
              Last edited by leex6221; 12-19-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Clutch debends how and where it was driven if it's a highway car it can go hundreds of thousands of miles mine had the stock one at 230 and looked pretty good when I did the engine swap I changed it out.
                On any of my festivas the rear wheel bearings were all neglected. That's about it.
                Look for rust around the rear beam here.

This is about the only thing that will kill a festiva.

Comment

If you ever need any parts, that guy selling it has like 17 other festivas.
                  The Festiva Store
                  Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by leex6221 View Post
                    the owner was asking $1200 for it but he said the lowest he'd take is $1000. As far as rust goes, there's a little bit of rust in front of the rear wheels according to the owner, although it is not noticeable in any photos I have seen. Thanks for the replies .It has the standard 12" tires, 2 tires are brand new, and 2 tires are okay. Previous owner used it as a daily driver. Doesn't burn any oil according to the owner. Clutch is good.

As far as repairs go, what are typical things to look for on this year and mileage? How often do clutches last? I have no problem making repairs myself if they're doable in a parking lot.
                    For repairs/maintinance make sure the coolant gets changed at the proper intervals, same with spark plugs. Distributors sometimes go but not often. Rear wheel bearings need regular greasing to last the lifetime of the car. Not greasing them might get you only 200k, lol. Front brake caliper sliders and springs need to be looked at to make sure they are all still there and sliding. Sliders need grease like every 2 years. Park brake cable and rear auto adjusters need to be lubed every now and then. That and regular oil and air filter changes and these cars last forever. Until that rear axle comes off... Lol.

Comment

As you can tell from the picture, rust out around the rear axle mounting holes are the death of a Festiva.

Comment

One that is mechanically sound and isnt a rustbucket for 1,000 is a good investment.For getting to a to b the Festy may be the best value car ever built.Check it over. if it all looks good pull the trigger.

Comment

Pictures of the rear wheels rust

Here are pics of in front of the rear wheel. Owner says its not structural. How bad is this rust? Worth buying still?
                          Attached Files

Comment

If it's that bad there, it's not worth $1K IMHO. But check where the rear beam mounts to the unibody, and get under it and look for further rust along the rockers. If there is significantly more than in those pics, I'd offer him $500 and see what he says. Besides, who knows what other things need fixing on that car? If it might turn out to be a money pit, at least get it cheap to start with.

What state is Hawley in? I'm guessing not Arizona.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Mine looked like that 7 years and 200k ago and im still driving it. The important part to check is where the rear axle/control arm thing attaches to the body. I cant tell from these photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X