Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know gas mileage goes down in the winter but come on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know gas mileage goes down in the winter but come on...

....I use "Fuelly" to keep track of my mpg. I've gone from 40, 39 mpg in Aug. through Oct. and this last fill up I got 35!! What the heck? Before that was 36, before that was 37. So a steady slow descent.

"Winter" gas?
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Loosing 10% on your gas milage is normal for most vehicles weather its a van, truck or small car. Oil, grease and coolant is colder on startup so there are high pumping draws, they take longer to heat up- especially oil. You use your headlights and heater more and there is more rolling resistance from winter tires, snow/slush/water. People also tend to let their vehicles idle to warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to Seattle yesterday, temperature 21 to 35. Gas mileage usually 38-40 mpg with the 5 speed, I got 31, 33 and 36. I assumed it's the cold weather.

Comment

Yeah, my fillup today I only netted 34 MPG. That's with a vacuum leak somewhere too.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Also, cold air is denser, so at hwy speeds it will create more drag than in the summer. Atmospheric drag is negligible below ~45-50 MPH.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ok, I knew it went down but I didn't think it was as far as mine had gone but it appears about right with what others are getting.

Comment

Won't cold air, being denser, require more fuel per unit volume of air to obtain a suitable mixture?

Also, dry air is denser. The past four days in Seattle have been cold and very dry, with rare clear blue skies and visibility in excess of 100 miles at ground level.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Also in Seattle area for reference, just got 36 mpg on las fill up.

Comment

Another thing to note is that the engine management richens the mixture while the engine is below operating temperature, and the oxygen sensor is not used to fine tune the fuel mixture. Festivas have a tendency to run cold, especially in cold weather.
                    One trick to help with this is to switch to a dual element thermostat for a 1.6 miata. These thermostats work better for a quicker warm up and a more precise control on engine temperature. They are a bit on the expensive side though.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-07-2016, 11:38 AM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Another thing to note is that the engine management riches the mixture while the engine is under operating temperature, and the oxygen sensor is not used to fine tune the fuel mixture. Festivas have a tendency to run cold, especially in cold weather.
                      One trick to help with this is to switch to a dual element thermostat for a 1.6 miata. These thermostats work better for a quicker warm up and a more precise control on engine temperature. They are a bit on the expensive side though.
                      They are a little expensive as you say, but the fuel savings will more than make up for it. Guess I'm finally gonna have to get one, not so much for gas mileage tho as for better heat. I'm finally coming around to wanting to try the dual-stage t-stat to see if it really matters.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Here is a link to an article that explains most of the reasons for lower gas mileage during colder weather.
                        http://wxbrad.com/why-cold-weather-g...r-gas-mileage/

Comment

34 last fill up, winter gas sucks and I think Festiva radiators are sized for a 5.9 cummins. To get heat I block radiator and unplug fan otherwise mileage drops even further

Comment

Is unplugging the fan a good idea?

Comment

OK, it's warming up here in Eastern Washington, temperatures been 30-40. I filled up today, 36.5 mpg. Gas mileage appears to be improving with warmer temperatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X