Mazda 121 2nd gen ? funtop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mazda 121 2nd gen ? funtop?

Hey anyone out there know if the mazda 121 2nd gen fun tops (link below) are comparable with the Festiva ?

The guys selling them here has a few of them I think.

Last edited by Festivanoob; 01-04-2016, 09:45 PM.

sorry comparable is the wrong word, compatible is the word i meant to use.

Comment

I would say no that 121 looks like an aspire. It would have to much of a curve. But I could be wrong.

Comment

I agree that it looks to curved, but makes you wonder if you replaced the tracks to something flatter it may be a viable way of doing fun top.

Comment

i bought a replacement canvas from this seller years ago for my JDM DA festiva 1991. he listed it as a replacement for the 121 DB but after a few emails he was able to verify that his supplier said it would fit the DA also. he also sent measurements of it so that i could compare it with my existing top and they were indeed the same. so i took the chance and bought one. i haven't installed it yet as this is being stored for a restoration project far down the road.
          awhile later, a genuine Mazda 121 DA OEM top assembly with framework came up on Ebay .de. i decided to buy that since the price was great and i wouldn't have to glue the aftermarket one to my old end plattens. at some point i laid out both of them side by side and they were identical. if anything, the aftermarket piece looked to be better quality. the thread stitches were either molded or sealed so there seemed to less chance of leaks developing. i don't know if it was BS or not but the seller claimed it was from the same supplier and of the same material as used by Webasto for the OEM tops. i have pictures of both of these taken side by side in various positions but i haven't been able to access anything on my photobucket account.
          just to mention, at the time the seller also could get these in colors other than black for an extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
            i bought a replacement canvas from this seller years ago for my JDM DA festiva 1991. he listed it as a replacement for the 121 DB but after a few emails he was able to verify that his supplier said it would fit the DA also. he also sent measurements of it so that i could compare it with my existing top and they were indeed the same. so i took the chance and bought one. i haven't installed it yet as this is being stored for a restoration project far down the road.
            awhile later, a genuine Mazda 121 DA OEM top assembly with framework came up on Ebay .de. i decided to buy that since the price was great and i wouldn't have to glue the aftermarket one to my old end plattens. at some point i laid out both of them side by side and they were identical. if anything, the aftermarket piece looked to be better quality. the thread stitches were either molded or sealed so there seemed to less chance of leaks developing. i don't know if it was BS or not but the seller claimed it was from the same supplier and of the same material as used by Webasto for the OEM tops. i have pictures of both of these taken side by side in various positions but i haven't been able to access anything on my photobucket account.
            just to mention, at the time the seller also could get these in colors other than black for an extra cost.

So you just got the canvas ? Not the rails and other parts ? That would be the part I'm concerned with as id be trying to put one in a hard top

Comment

i assumed you had a canvas top car. that seller is an online upholstery shop. he's just selling the canvas. i have 2 canvas top cars and both need new fabric. very very rarely a complete top and mechanism will come up on ebay. usually ebay germany but i haven't seen one for years. the whole assembly is at least 100 parts and nothing is available from mazda anymore. the DB cars are a little more common but the mechanism is much different except for the canvas. they use 2 motors instead of 1 and the top opens forwards and backwards. a few people have found add-on sliding canvas tops in the aftermarket but they are nowhere near as sophisticated in sealing, operation, or looks as the OEM setup.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, all I can do is hope to stumble upon it I guess hah. cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X