POwer steering rack install help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POwer steering rack install help

I switched to a kia rio power steering rack. I hooked it up dry tho. I think i am of on the knuckle to steering tho. I can do 360°in place going left. Going right im limited. So clearly im off but my question is

Do i just take the knuckle off of the rack spin rack one turn to the roght and put back on?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Any ideas here guys?

Wheel turns left more then it does right! Is my knuckle to pinion shaft off 360°? The knuckle to column shaft had a master in it so it only goes on one way. From what i remember the rack didnt have any master groove in the pinion shaft.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Hows alignment?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, pull the spline input coupling loose from the rack and get the rack and steering centered before putting it back in.
        Should turn approximately the same amount to lock either side from center, if you are off a tooth don't worry about it.
        Last edited by Dragonhealer; 01-19-2016, 12:24 AM.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Well i got the rack centered. I didnt pull the knuckle of the racks pinion tho. I plan to buy a grant wheel soon so im not going to mess with the wheel being off right now. Will deal with that small detail later on.

The rack was out to one side one full turn. So it all looked great until i turned to realize i was limited one way and not the other. Anyway its centered and doing good now. I pull to the right just a hair. So i still need to adjust but its ok for now. will try again this weekend.
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Sounds good!
            I notice on Carolyn's the turning circle is a little tighter now. Does yours have the same effect?
            No car too fast !

Comment

Yes! I almost think it turns to much. Kinda makes me think the axle will bind but doesn't.

You should have seen it when i have it off a turn. It would actually pivot about the rear tire! It was cool for the 3 circles i did in place.
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

When I swapped my steering rack out, I just installed it without hooking up the u-joint, and getting the wheels as straight as I could get them, and then installed the u-joint, but I did have to drop the steering column to do it this way. Was the easiest way I could figure out.
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Probably the only way to do it by yourself !
                  No car too fast !

Comment

I had to have help! I will have help again when i fix the wheel.
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                      Probably the only way to do it by yourself !
                      You're probably right.
                      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                      X