X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some info on tire

What is a good tire height to run on some 14s. They are
    185/14

I'm running Federal Formosa FD1's, 165-55-14's on my car. Bought from online tires.com.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
      I'm running Federal Formosa FD1's, 165-55-14's on my car. Bought from online tires.com.
      How do you like them? Have you tried the Achillies atk?

Im ready to buy tires now- so looking at all options before i pull the trigger.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I have Federals on my 90 and my 92 bp car. They handle great and the SS595's on my bp car stick very good. They are 185-55-15's. I'll buy Federals again when they need replaced. I have not tried the Achilles, my bp car had Federal Formosa FD 1's on the wheels I traded for. I liked them and have installed them on my 90, and when I had the pothole damage, I used the SS 595 performance tires since i won't be driving it in snowy weather.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 01-22-2016, 09:59 AM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

I have used both the Federal Formoza Fd1, and The Achilles Economist ATR-K. I like the Achilles better. They get better grip all around, provide a smoother ride and hold up better on the track.
          When pushed hard on the track, the Federal Formoza FD1 tires loose grip quickly as they are overheated. The Achilles Economist looses a little grip, but doesn't completely go away. The wet weather and mud traction also seems to be better with the Achilles Economist.
          The one area where the federal tires seem to have the advantage is longevity. The Achilles tires weather crack after a couple years here in AZ. I haven't tested the weather cracked tires, but I'd assume they have lost grip if the rubber is drying out. The federal hold up better over time. I've driven both tires on several cars in various conditions and abused them both severely on a race track. I've also driven cross country on both of these choices mounted on a Festiva.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-22-2016, 10:55 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

To answer the O.P.'s question. 185mm is not an ideal width for a festiva. In fact, this size can be dangerous in wet conditions. A 165mm width is optimal for these cars unless your pushing the limits on a race track. For the street, the 165 55 14 Achilles Economist tires are a great choice and a really excellent value. These tires are basically a copy of the Continental Sport Contact. The Sport contact is one of the top choices for OEM manufacturers, so you know it's a good design.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Good info Charlie. I've seen the Achilles for sale but never tried them.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Charlie where do you normally buy your achilles at?
                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                X