Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about brake rotor development....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about brake rotor development....

If you know anything- what have been the trends? Are those ribbed surfaces new and what's the scoop? Did I hear something bout carbon fiber? Is there such a thing? Alloy? Do these have to be soooo heavy?

Saw a Porsche drive past today- bright red brake calipers showing through the wheels on disk brakes front and rear. Some cars have them on both ends. Why?
    If I recall old old cars had only drum brakes- when did that change? 50's? 60's?

now's a chance to show your internet expertise!

below- Honda 13 alloy wheels 4 X 100 4.5 width
    Last edited by harpon; 02-02-2016, 09:38 PM.

There are posts where rear disks have been installed. Too much bother for me.

Comment

No = Festy brakes are adequate- I just want to know about any new trends

Comment

Studerbaker was the first American car maker to use dics brakes up front (1963). A Jag design.

Rear dics started in the 90's?

Trend now is ever increasing stopping power. Calipers, pads, and rotors get bigger. Thats why there's no more 15 inch tires. Takes a 18, 19 or 20 inch wheel to fit over the rotor caliper. Because of the increased stopping power. Tires have to be wider.

Comment

If they would stop making cars so damn heavy the need for stopping would be lower.
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
          19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Cars have gotten lighter. I remember Cads use to weight 3 tons. Lighter cars have gotten faster. Smaller engines have gotten more powerful. Traffic has gotten denser. We demand more. All these factors, not weight, determine braking performance.

Comment

Originally posted by harpon View Post
              If you know anything- what have been the trends? Are those ribbed surfaces new and what's the scoop? Did I hear something bout carbon fiber? Is there such a thing? Alloy? Do these have to be soooo heavy?

Saw a Porsche drive past today- bright red brake calipers showing through the wheels on disk brakes front and rear. Some cars have them on both ends. Why?
              If I recall old old cars had only drum brakes- when did that change? 50's? 60's?

now's a chance to show your internet expertise!

below- Honda 13 alloy wheels 4 X 100 4.5 width
              Do a Google search on "brake development trends". There's info out there.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Rear discs have been an option on consumer cars since the late 1960's. They didn't become common though until the mid to late 1980s. My 1986 VW Scirocco had rear disc brakes standard.
                The holes and ribs are for cooling and have been used on cars for the last 3 decades. Slots are to allow hot gasses to escape from between the pads and rotors.
                The newest technology in friction loss braking is probably the use of composite materials (carbon and ceramic) for the rotors. These rotors are extremely light weight. The most ground breaking thing in the recent history of braking is probably regenerative braking. This uses electromagnetic resistance to slow the vehicle while it stores that energy in batteries that help to power the car. This technology also has plenty of cooling fins and is also quite heavy. Lol.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                X