Transmission? Noise at Hwy Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission? Noise at Hwy Speed

Hey guys, lately I've been noticing a noise coming from under the hood at highway speeds. It almost sounds like a whistle. It happens while I'm cruising or accelerating at highway speeds. If I push in the clutch or step off the gas completely it goes away. This makes me think it could be transmission related.

Any thoughts? I can try and get a video with the noise in it if this isn't enough info.
    Last edited by TWFodor; 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

If you press the clutch and rev the engine at highway speed does it still do it? How is your transmission fluid level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It doesnt make the noise when I try what you described. I havent checked my fluid, either
      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

Ok, please check the fluid level. I have heard many old manual transmissions make a whine or kind of a whistle noise for years and be fine, but they all did it as long as they were turning. Im not sure why yours would stop when you let off the gas but its still in gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't had a chance to check the fluid level yet but here is a quick video so you can hear the noise. Its faint so you may have to turn your volume up.

Comment

Did you ever get your answer? Sounds like a dry release fork.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

No, its still making the noise. I made sure it was full of fluid, too.

Comment

Vacuum leak?
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                X