Car guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car guys

I swear, trying to explain festiva chassis dynamics to jeep or muscle car guys is an impossible task. "Why do you want to move your engine forward", "why not install disk brakes on the rear".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ive noticed real car enthusiasts are not jeep or muscle car or tuner or what ever.

When someone is narrow minded to one type of vehicle. I know they really dont get it.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cory_Thurmond; 03-31-2016, 02:03 AM.

Comment

I know I've seen the answer before on these forums but why exactly do we want to move our engines forward?
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You want as much of the weight on or in front of the front axle line as possible (without adding weight obviously).
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

What is this improving though? Traction? Cornering?
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

overall handling big time.
            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

And even traction. Draggers would benefit greatly from it too.

It just makes everything better.
              Last edited by sketchman; 03-31-2016, 01:20 PM.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I know somebody has, but why disk brakes in the back, when it's so lite to start with. Unless maybe you need extra braking when pulling rv.

Comment

Car guys

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                  I know I've seen the answer before on these forums but why exactly do we want to move our engines forward?
                  Weight transfer. It helps when you accelerate. Prevents wheelspin and loss of traction under acceleration. Which helps in cornering and you can keep your foot in the gas while cornering. Most handling benefits are from other mods like tires and suspension rather than this. But the key benefit from this is increased traction under acceleration. There may be a slight disadvantage under braking but maybe not. Much of the motor weight transfers ahead of the axles in the stock engine location anyway.
                  In a bunch of advancedynamics videos he still has wheelspin at higher speeds and it makes me wonder if adding more weight low down in the front would actually help. Like filling the front rebar with lead or cement.

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                  I know somebody has, but why disk brakes in the back, when it's so lite to start with. Unless maybe you need extra braking when pulling rv.

In general or for festivas specifically?
                  For a festiva it would be for looks.
                  For other cars the main reason for change in passenger cars (not so much sports cars, trucks and suv's) is its easier for abs to work well with disc brakes. Disk brakes in the rear gouge up way faster and need more maintinance than drums. They cool better than drums but thats not needed untill you race or tow a lot with any passenger car and even then, it takes a lot to fade rear drums. And adding an air scoop to the brakes is easier than swapping to discs if thats your worry. Trailers and many full size trucks meant for towing still use drums in the back. The protect the components better from salt, road oil and grease, rocks... And they are adequate for rear braking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-31-2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Ever see that old James Bond movie- don't know which one- one with Roger Moore- where he's being chased in a VW Rabbit?- back in the day they were still newish-

The back end of the car gets demolished, and he's still driving around with the frame dragging beyond the front wheels-Jumping over stuff and fishtailing around with no tail. pretty cool.

Ooops. My mistake- looks like a Renault Alliance I think

RUIDD:

A view to a Kill Car chase
                    The sequence from A View To A Kill when Bond chases Mayday, with Hercules Takes Off from The Living Daylights.Non-profit. The movie A View To A Kill is prope...

Hey Boy, watch that car!
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by harpon; 03-31-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Haha, only the british would think they can drive without a gas tank... But i had no idea christopher walken was a bond bad guy! I have to watch that one now
                      And what is the second video of or from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X