No announcement yet.

GTX B6T Motor ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is using the small nose a bad idea? Or will i be fine when im around the 250-300 mark?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
      Small is square and 27mm is rectangle
      I thought it was the opposite?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
        So is using the small nose a bad idea? Or will i be fine when im around the 250-300 mark?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

If you're building an engine, use a large nose crank, period. It has nothing to do with HP levels. The small nosed crank was a design flaw, and can be a problem even at the stock 62hp b3 level (though the problem is much less common due to the lack of extra accessory load).
          A large nosed crank can be sourced for under 200 dollars, and you'll need a different oil pump. You don't want to build up a trick engine, only to have to tear it down because your crank pulley came loose and ruined your crank.
          Also, you'll be about as fast as a 600 cc sport bike at 200hp/200ft.lbs which you can get from a box stock B6t long block with a decent turbo and programmable management. My 180/180 b6t festiva is very close to a 600 on freeway pulls (faster than some, slower than others). Over 250hp will be tough to put down on street rubber and spinning your tires will make you slower. Keep in mind that your building a 1700lb car, not your typical 2800lb street car. 1000 lbs is a huge difference, and you can take the HP numbers that are required for most cars and cut that in half. 200hp festiva=450 hp Corvette
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            If you're building an engine, use a large nose crank, period. It has nothing to do with HP levels. The small nosed crank was a design flaw, and can be a problem even at the stock 62hp b3 level (though the problem is much less common due to the lack of extra accessory load).
            A large nosed crank can be sourced for under 200 dollars, and you'll need a different oil pump. You don't want to build up a trick engine, only to have to tear it down because your crank pulley came loose and ruined your crank.
            Also, you'll be about as fast as a 600 cc sport bike at 200hp/200ft.lbs which you can get from a box stock B6t long block with a decent turbo and programmable management. My 180/180 b6t festiva is very close to a 600 on freeway pulls (faster than some, slower than others). Over 250hp will be tough to put down on street rubber and spinning your tires will make you slower. Keep in mind that your building a 1700lb car, not your typical 2800lb street car. 1000 lbs is a huge difference, and you can take the HP numbers that are required for most cars and cut that in half. 200hp festiva=450 hp Corvette
            Perfect reply once again! Thank you.

So now on to finding a long nose crank and i guess i need to start reading on what all i need to do to change it out.
            Any pointers?
            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

thanks for the link bhazard. very interesting and it especially clears up the short, long, and big nose quagmire. interesting also is that all festiva shop manuals show torque values of either 80-85 or 80-87 ft.lb. since the big nose was incorporated in 91 i would've expected the 92/93 manuals to show the higher torque value. even in a 1992 capri shop manual which more closely duplicates a miata engine the specs also show a single range of 80-87 ft. lbs. these discrepancies might've been addressed in a TSB to dealer service depts. but i wonder how many big nose engines were installed or repaired with under torqued bolts.
              Last edited by F3BZ; 04-01-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

So now on to finding a long nose crank and i guess i need to start reading on what all i need to do to change it out.
                Any pointers?[/QUOTE]

any chance you can use an aspire crank? i dunno but somebody will. also 4G still shows a later crank for $185.

Comment

This is all fantastic info - and I will be surfing out stuff here for a long time. But in my experience the bottom end of any engine you intend to keep should be the place where you spend time and effort to get it right from the beginning.

Since a "Long Nose" crank can be had either by ordering one outright, or (if you know what you are looking for) salvaged out of a wrecking yard engine, ANY SERIOUS REBUILD even if it isn't for a monster engine should have that crank included as part of the package.

My question here though is about turbo ~vs~ normally aspirated engines, and it concerns the OTHER parts around the crank. I know from ford 2.3 engines that factory turbo and supercharger engines like the Thunderbird cars had forged rods and other hardened internals that gave strength to the rotating assembly. Is this true of Mazda 'B' engines also?
                  Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                    I thought it was the opposite?
                    Nope. 27 mm has the 8 slot pulley.

Comment

I mean the square vs rectangle bolt pattern
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Actually the long nose is still a 22 mm crank and much harder to find for sure. You want a big nose 27 mm crank. We are always on the hunt down here for B6t's in good shape and other related stuff for them...and we find them for sure. We will post them up when located. No tin worms down here in the desert so they stay on the road longer.

Comment

So does anyone have a lead on a long nose crank?
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Mike if you do find one make sure you get the right bolt and key with it...or you can still get those from Mazda new.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                              So does anyone have a lead on a long nose crank?
                              Big nose. Let's just call them 22mm or 27mm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

So anyone know where i might find a 27MM crank?
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X