HOT Hub - Not Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOT Hub - Not Festiva

Just curious if this is a sound line of thought.

05 Chevy Colorado 4wd

Said it was making a grinding noise on LF wheel. Pull wheel to find dried out(but not stuck) sliders and no, I repeat NO, caliper bolts. I did the brakes on this vehicle a few months ago. They only noticed the noise recently, so I'm near certain I did not leave the bolts out. And I greased the sliders too.

I also notice that that hub and rotor etc is all way hotter than the other side. Like the other side is cold, and the side in question is too hot to touch. Even the alloy wheel is pretty hot.

There is no noticeable play in the bearing. A TINY bit of on-road noise, but not bad at all.

Is it possible that the bearing is dried out, and that heat cycling + vibes loosened the caliper bolts? I also noticed that the rubber boot on one of the sliders was so soft and fragile that when I tried to take it off to transfer it to the new one, it fell apart. To me saying it's getting REALLY hot and breaking down.

Opinions?
    Last edited by sketchman; 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

All of your thoughts are valid, does the brake assembly rotate easy, if not maybe the brake hose has collapsed and is holding pressure against the pads making extra heat.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

The rubber brake lines were my first thought too - I have a Ranger 1/4 ton that has a hot brake issue from time to time (Or did, before I sidelined the project).

Sounds to me like it would be good insurance to replace both rubber lines AND ALSO do a complete brake fluid flush to get rid of any junk in the whole system.

* Water, decomposed rubber particles from the cups in the master cylinder, all of it. Crud from the top of the system will eventually get pushed down through the lines and get packed in the least convenient place possible.
      Last edited by Greywolf; 04-02-2016, 03:13 PM.
      Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

I'm glad I'm making sense.

The brakes work great, the pads don't show uneven wear, and things rotate freely. It's really weird.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
        X