Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here use tire balancing beads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here use tire balancing beads?

Like these?:

Seems like if these worked you could get that harbor freight tire mounting machine and be in business- if I was younger I'd probably try that, although the tire mounter needs to be anchored down somehow.

Anyway, whats the deal on the beads- it says it eliminate other tire balancing and lead weights- anybody tried them?

Also, is it true that shorter stems would create less imbalance simply by having less mass? I'm looking to buy tire valve stems- and I see 4 for $99 on ebay- 32mm length. Is that fairly standard?

below- the Honda wheels are for the Aspire, but I recently got some Festy factory alloys, and it will soon be tire mounting time!
    Last edited by harpon; 04-05-2016, 02:53 AM.

I've thought about that and talked to a buddy of mine that is in the tire business and he said they work much better on big trucks.

Comment

My dad uses them on his semi- says they worked good. Then he tried them on his f-350 and they worked good. Then he put them in his 2010 cobalt and said they worked great. According to the guy who mounts tires they work good on cars too but not low profile tires is what i think he said. Also i cant remember the ammounts, but im sure you can figure that out. So ya, just mount the tires, dont use any weights and stick the beads in through the valve stem. If your careful you can get most of em back when you unmount the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good to know.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

My only experience with this(the tire folks called it "powder") was on my work truck, a van cab with a 8"x16" box and big 16" tires, and it didn't work well on that setup. Over 60 mph it shook like crazy, like a totally unbalanced tire. I took it back and requested a spin balance with lead weights and all was well. That left me unimpressed with the concept.
          "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
          "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
          "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
          "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
          "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
          "Wenona"-89L parts car
          "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
            My only experience with this(the tire folks called it "powder") was on my work truck, a van cab with a 8"x16" box and big 16" tires, and it didn't work well on that setup. Over 60 mph it shook like crazy, like a totally unbalanced tire. I took it back and requested a spin balance with lead weights and all was well. That left me unimpressed with the concept.
            Interesting. Do you know how much they put in? Too much or too little and it wont work. Also how much lead weight is on the tire now? If the tire or rim is a bit funny they dont work well. They only work for a certain range. Like if you have them in and it all works fine it will still start shaking if you get a bunch of uneven mud or snow in the rim. They only do so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Interesting. Do you know how much they put in? Too much or too little and it wont work. Also how much lead weight is on the tire now? If the tire or rim is a bit funny they dont work well. They only work for a certain range. Like if you have them in and it all works fine it will still start shaking if you get a bunch of uneven mud or snow in the rim. They only do so much.
              No, sorry I don't recall many details about it as it was 6-7 years back. There was nothing on the tires that would have caused it. I took it out from the shop onto the freeway and as soon as I was up to speed it became obvious something was up. I went straight back and complained and they fixed it, but with weights. This was a truck( 2004 F-450 V-10 box van) I had over 150k experience with at that point and only I drove.
              "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
              "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
              "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
              "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
              "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
              "Wenona"-89L parts car
              "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Does anyone here use tire balancing beads?

No, sorry I don't recall many details about it as it was 6-7 years back. There was nothing on the tires that would have caused it. I took it out from the shop onto the freeway and as soon as I was up to speed it became obvious something was up. I went straight back and complained and they fixed it, but with weights. This was a truck( 2004 F-450 V-10 box van) I had over 150k experience with at that point and only I drove.
                Ok, my dad is the only one i know who had used them on stuff other than big rigs. Lots of people do on them. The guy who installs his tires (for a living) likes the beads. I considered trying them on the festiva but i get the tires balanced cheaper so it wasn't worthwhile to me. Im sure a google search would turn up lots of opinions harpon
                Last edited by ryanprins13; 04-05-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

oops- double post
                  Last edited by harpon; 04-05-2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I'm still deciding- probably pay the piper- once my tires are on, I don't drive that much-
                    and I don't have great shop facilities here-

you may have seen the several videos on youtube:

You can get a bubble balancer for 50-60 on ebay or Harbor freight and adhesive weights or the lead bits

but if the beads would work, it would eliminate that I guess

Comment

Back when I worked at a place that had multiple semi tractors and larger medium duty trucks we used the 'powder'.

It came in an enclosed paperish type bag and you simply tossed the whole thing, bag and all into the tire after the bead was brake away from the rim.

The bags were of different quantity and had the tire size printed on the bag itself. Never had any complaints from any of the drivers so I would deem it a success.

Comment

In the description, number 4 is important concerning a Festiva tire:

Important!
                        1. Tell us how you want them divided or they come in one bag - sold by the ounce (NOT PER TIRE)
                        2. See tire chart for amount needed. Look to the left bar at the bottom for link
                        3. Enter the number of ounces you need in the quantity
                        4. NOT recommended for small cars that weigh under 3000lbs
                        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                        X