Upgraded Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded Festiva

I bought another Festiva last week, my 2nd and the one I prefer.
    Paid AUD$400.00
    1998, 1.5, 5 speed manual, 14 inch mag wheels, 5 door hatch, RHD. I'm the 3rd owner.
    All books and all owner history from new, where it was bought from, when it was bought etc etc.
    Almost 300,000 kms, so it is a bit tired.
    Never been in accident, good straight body, minor dent.
    Needed 2 front tyres, plugs, cap, rotor and leads to get it running right before the trip back home.
    Drove it home from where I bought it, 900 Kms away.
    Very happy with fuel consumption, almost 450 Kms to a tank full of fuel,
    ( MUCH better than my other 1.3 lt 3 speed auto, which I will eventually try to sell ).

Has what I think is a noisy diff, not sure yet, but it constantly wines in all gears.
    At around 110 KPH it gets quieter but still there.
    Loses power when going up a hill rise in 5th gear at 100 to 110 kph, had to drop it down to 4th.
    It's as if it's "governed" at 3000 + rpm, it's just not "happening".
    I hope I can find answer here to perhaps modify the cam, raise compression or what not.
    Not interested in beating land speed records, but just want it to go up the freeway's hill rise without too much loss in speed. It was annoying especially when other cars behind me had to "negotiate" an over-take.

One of the spark plugs ( No 1 ? closest to alternator ? - would not unscrew, previous owner must have spun a thread it seems. So I left it on for now.

My plan is the remove engine and work on everything it needs, including rings, bearings etc. The diff may need bearings perhaps.
    Has sloppy gear shift,no gate feel.
    Broken engine mounts maybe.
    Unstable at times when decelerating, as if the front wants to steer away.

Other than that, the interior and all cosmetics are exceptionally good for it's age.

Will post a photo later on.

This car for me is a keeper, it is going to get looked after.

Any tips or advice on the problems I mentioned would be appreciated.

Thanks
Working...
X