Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transporting Long Lumber on a Festiva...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting Long Lumber on a Festiva...

I've built a house using my Festiva before, didn't own a pickup truck. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has
    ever built or seen something built on top of a Festiva roof that'll fit 12' or more boards...without using a trailer. What
    I mean is using or building something like a ladder or luggage rack on top?

I had considered at one time of removing the black strips on the roof and using bar stock of the same width to thru bolt thru the roof and weld some stations off of it to make a set of roof rails that cross bars could be attached to.

That said, you're not talking very large boards. The other thought would be to attach posts off the ends of the bumpers and make up a rack that sits on top of the posts. The post bases could attach permanently to the top of the bumper and the posts themselves be removable.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

The rack attached to the bumpers is a good idea i have seen done on other rides. I would throw a big towel or someting over the top and just strap the wood down. I would also tie a rope from the front bumper around the wood that hangs of the front of the car. Then just drive slow.

I have had 12' 2x4's in the back with the hatch open. lay pass seat down flat. stock wood in as far as you can up to pass floor board/dash area. tie the hatch down drive 80
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I carry a 14 foot kayak on the top of mine all the time no problem.
        I have a spotrack.

Comment

Attached is what I did with no welding and no drilling whatsoever, just ratchet straps. The black plastic strips on the roof were not altered at all.

As I recall, it's exactly 12' long. The floats only weigh about 250 pounds despite their size.

Attached also is a shot of carrying lots of long two-bys in an LX.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 04-08-2016, 08:54 PM.
          88L black, dailydriver
          88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg
          3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
          1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

I would do something similar to the second thing Larry suggested and what Alaskafestivaguy built, the old truck canoe rack style if you will. I have hauled a decent amount of large lumber in my car in the past but I only live about two miles down a dirt road from home depot.

Comment

Working...
            X